PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh love York a beautiful city, I have lovely memories from living there in the 1980s. It's one of my favourite places. Enjoy:D
  • sootypea
    sootypea Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Can I join you lovely ladies?
    I sat and read the whole thread on Sunday. I'm not a slow reader I dipped in and out all day.
    I had just joined the no more clutter in 2019 thread, This house is full of clutter! I was about to join the eating out of the freezer and the cupboards i'm constantly buying food. I can't seem to let go of cooking for four, theirs only the two of us now

We became mortgage free in November that was a real champagne moment.

I am on a countdown to retire in Feb 2020 can't wait to have more time to spend at home and potter.

You have all inspired me to look for champagne moments in every situation.
    an GC. £180.00/£300
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome, sootypea, and congratulations on being mortgage free!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Sootypea.. welcome. And yes, well done on being mortgage free. wow. That's my next big goal.

I took out a small mortgage when I moved. Wait for it......I'm 67 and they gave me a 29 year mortgage. :rotfl:::rotfl: bonkers but I grabbed it.

The monthly payment is peanuts and it's on a fixed rate for 5 years. I can only overpay by 10% per year or I incur a hefty penalty so the master plan is to make the allowed over payments for 5 years. At that point I will only have another 5 years to go because I will have reduced the term to 10 years or I can clear the mortgage without penalties. I can decide later.

I could have just about bought the house outright but it would have completely cleaned me out and left nothing for renovations or a rainy day so I decided to opt for a mortgage. As it is I am more or less "mortgage neutral".

Anyway I have had several champagne moments already today. Did a tip run and also popped into the YMCA to donate a rocking chair, very Pretty to look at but actually not very comfortable to sit on. It didn't bring me joy. :rotfl:

Whilst there I picked up a very pretty vintage tea set for £5. Didn't recognise the make so googled it when I got home.....it's worth a couple of £££ at least because it's in immaculate condition. I also picked up three paintings.£5 each. One is a cheap and cheerful mass produced canvas for the kitchen but the other two are original pen and ink drawings of Japanese children in traditional dress, the clothes being made out of a collage of fabric (silks) with added decorative embroidery. They are vintage and really quite lovely. They will go in the lounge.

Then just to finish off I picked up a bunch of tulips for 99p.

So a very nice MSE morning buying "gorgeous little things, dahhhlings".

(as per Patsy in Ab Fab:rotfl:).
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    house_elf wrote: »
    LL Very envious. We sat on the beach waiting for a Shuttle Launch, but it was cancelled due to a hurricane warning.

A similar thing happened to us. A shuttle launch was planned while we were in Florida and we booked a coach trip to go an see it. But it was cancelled a few days before due to a hurricane being on its way.

This was Hurricane Floyd in 1999. It was headed straight towards us, but fortunately for us a weather front changed it's course at the last minute and the hurricane went up the coast instead.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • sootypea
    sootypea Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning, My champagne moment today will be throwing a birthday party for three homeless children who have birthdays this month. There will be about 30 homeless children attending. We have managed to get all the food, birthday cakes and presents for free as well which is a bonus.
    I better explain I work with homeless families and a project called the birthday star project which aims to throw a birthday party once a month for homeless children.
    Wish me luck I'm going to be knackered when I get home.
    an GC. £180.00/£300
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    What a lovely thing to do. I live near Manchester and have never heard of that charity although I do knit for various chariites who help the homeless. I shall look the birthday star project up.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Champagne moment for yesterday.....

Invited to see Singalong Bohemian Rhapsody. Friend bought my ticket, and I brought the chocs. We had little bottles of wine in our handbags :D

Relived our youth:p......saw Queen at the Liverpool Empire in 1979? And worked behind the bar, at a pub, watching Live Aid in 1984.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My champagne moment yesterday was going to watch Stan and Ollie at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square. I had a premium Luxe recliner seat so I was laying back with my feet up to watch this film. When the seat is fully reclined and the footrest is up, both at the touch of a button, I feel as if I am laying in utmost comfort. :T

It is a profoundly insightful, funny, moving film. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are absolutely astounding in their lead roles as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy respectively. I would give this film 10/10 as I just cannot see how it could be improved on. :j:D:T

I had never been aware of the British tour that Laurel and Hardy had undertaken later in their career or of their personal lives or marriages. I had always loved the Laurel & Hardy films and found the comedy duo extremely funny, so I was determined to watch this film. :D
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    sootypea wrote: »
    Good Morning, My champagne moment today will be throwing a birthday party for three homeless children who have birthdays this month. There will be about 30 homeless children attending. We have managed to get all the food, birthday cakes and presents for free as well which is a bonus.
    I better explain I work with homeless families and a project called the birthday star project which aims to throw a birthday party once a month for homeless children.
    Wish me luck I'm going to be knackered when I get home.

How lovely!:T
    My champagne moment yesterday was going to watch Stan and Ollie at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square. I had a premium Luxe recliner seat so I was laying back with my feet up to watch this film. When the seat is fully reclined and the footrest is up, both at the touch of a button, I feel as if I am laying in utmost comfort. :T

It is a profoundly insightful, funny, moving film. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are absolutely astounding in their lead roles as Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy respectively. I would give this film 10/10 as I just cannot see how it could be improved on. :j:D:T

I had never been aware of the British tour that Laurel and Hardy had undertaken later in their career or of their personal lives or marriages. I had always loved the Laurel & Hardy films and found the comedy duo extremely funny, so I was determined to watch this film. :D

That film does look interesting.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure