Universal credit/entitledto.com

Options
I ran my circumstances through the benefit calculator and cannot believe how much my income will drop when UC comes out next year.

I have been on ESA for a little over 2 years and in receipt of PIP for 4. I get the 2 bedroom rate for HB to allow for overnight carers but I still pay a shortfall in my rent. I have been on the Local Priotiry housing list for some time now to find a more affordable property

Under UC, my ESA will drop from £191 per week to £73. I'm filled with panic about how I will be able to afford to live on this. My PIP has already been reduced because I was doing permitted work in 2017. Surely this can't be right? I feel that I'm going to be forced into taking another unsuitable job even though it would be detrimental to my health. That's if I could even find a job in the first place. There aren't many worthwhile things I can do.

Am I correct in my calculation? Are other people in the ESA Support Group facing such a huge drop in income with no realistic chance of ever returning to work? How can this be fair?
If tha' brexit, tha' pays for it.

Comments

• Scaredforthefuture
    Options
    That was the reason they gave - it's in black and white on the report.
  • K80_Black
    Options
    I just did the calculation for myself - under UC my weekly amount would almost halve!

I hadn't really paid attention to it as I plan to move in with my partner fairly soon and will lose my entitlement entirely (aside from PIP - I'm going to have to go back to work, part time, to have any sense of independence.)

It is shocking that it will fall so much - it looks like single disabled people are getting the short straw under the new rules.
  • Scaredforthefuture
    Options
    It's really frightening! There is so little I can do to change my situation . I've spent most of the night alternating between desperately thinking how I can go back to work then remembering how ill that working made me. I won't be able to survive on UC - life isn't easy on ESA as it is.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When managed migration takes place there will be a transitional protection in place so we aren't any worse off when we do eventually move across to UC.

Managed migration isn't due to start until late 2019. Much later than that for a lot of people. Unless you have a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC in the meantime then you have nothing at all to worry about.

Living with a partner that works when you're claiming Income related ESA is totally different. As Income related ESA is a means tested benefit then your partner is meant to support you. PIP of course isn't means tested and won't be affected.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you could tell us exactly what benefits you are currently receiving then we may be bale to work out if your calculations are correct.

So, ESA - contribution based/contribution based with an income base 'top up'/income based?

Which group are you in? Support/WRAG?

What rates of PIP are you on? daily living/mobility?

Any other income/savings?

Do you live alone?

Your housing element will be based on the LHA as it is now so you should still receive the same amount.
  • Scaredforthefuture
    Options
    I think my esa is contribution based but my LHA is income based.

(LHA says it based on income related ESA)
  • Scaredforthefuture
    Scaredforthefuture Posts: 192 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    I'm in the support group and I get £73.10 ESA, £64,30 SDA, £16.50 Disability income guarantee (??) and £37.65 for being in the supportgroup making £191 a week. I get the LR for care and mobility which is £79 a week and I get £156 LHA toward my rent because I need overnight carers from time to time.

I live alone and I exhausted what little savings a long time ago.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You must be putting the incorrect information into the benefit calculator.

Try this one.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check/

I have done a quick calculation and although there is a drop in benefits doing a comparison with Universal Credit (at the end of the calculation you can click on what you would get under UC) when you are transferred to UC there will be transitional protection.

As already said you will not transfer for some time especially since you have the severe disability with your current ESA award. These people will be the last to transfer - the legislation has not been passed yet but once the government get 'back on course' this should be passed through into legislation.
  • Scaredforthefuture
    Options
    I can't get this one right for now. I'll come back and try again later, Thank you for your help.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can't get this one right for now. I'll come back and try again later, Thank you for your help.
    As already advised, no need to worry for now. Managed migration doesn't start until next year and when it does those claiming SDP like yourself will be the last to move across and you won't be worse off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure