IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Mecca bingo Oldham parking charge and signage...

Options
Minster baywatch Mecca oldham
Options V
Isawsigns
post Yesterday, 23:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,104

I was among the first to be caught out by the Bransby Wilson/Minster baywatch effectively covert installation of APNR at Mecca bingo in Oldham. It became operational in October 2017. They have me in court soon.
I think there will be quite a few court cases popping up in the coming months and and I have no doubt that the operators had a serious bumper payday as the installation and implementation really was effectively covert.
I I fell my defence is tight. I'm very greatful for the help I've found here and elsewhere.
I don't want to share my defence on here because it has not yet been sent to the claimant or the court.
However, on returning to the site to take final photos for evidence I discovered something I almost cannot believe is true and wanted to share it here, and also ask if anyone knows if the following fact alone is enough to win in a parking charge court claim.-
The Capital height of the group 1 text (pay & Stay) on the entry sign to this site is only 30mm high.
The entrance sign is located on an access rd so the Appendix B of the BPA code says that the minimum capital height for group 1 text, even on a barrier controlled site is 50mm for an access road the minimum height is 90mm.
The group 1 text is 3x too small.
I took a stool and a tape measure to the site, measured and photographed it in disbelief...
Are Minster baywatch really this inefficient or am I missing something??
This would mean the site has been operating with an invalid sign for a year.
Could all cases for this site be dismissed if this single point is presented correctly?
I do have a good case without this..but I'm here because I feel like it's too good to be true.
I've shown many people the photos of the sign with tape measure and the Appendix B section of the BPA code and every person agrees that it is conclusively inadequate to the requirements of the code.
But each person has articulated the same thought in different ways- can Minster Baywatch really be this inefficient?
Is it as clean cut as it sounds?
Obviously to discuss this you will need to familiarise with Appendix B- it's only a couple of pages-
All thoughts and comments appreciated....

Comments

• onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    Well there are lots of wins on 'inadequate signage' and signage in general should always be part of a good defence.

Not sure if all the cases that have been to court could get dismissed as cases don't set precedents in small claims they are just persuasive (I believe).

All the parking scammers are inefficient when took to task, trouble is too many people pay when they get a scary letter with red writing!

Good luck with your court case, I think you'll do ok especially with the great help available on here.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Are Minster baywatch really this inefficient
    Yes, either that or deliberately negligent, in order to catch people (they are ex clampers). We are not surprised and would not even question what you are saying, this really is the 'norm' for such scum companies.
    or am I missing something??
    Nope, stop looking for something you missed, it really is this much of a scam.
    This would mean the site has been operating with an invalid sign for a year.
    Yes, like loads of others; lots of private car parks with woeful signage.
    Could all cases for this site be dismissed if this single point is presented correctly?
    No, unfortunately one county court case does not set a precedent. But win yours and then tell us the claim number, court and Judge's name when it's all over and show us your photos later, and we can use that info to help others.

You do know your photos do not go with a defence? Evidence is months down the line, so do be ready for each stage by reading bargepole's summary of what happens when in court cases (linked in the 2nd post of the NEWBIES FAQS sticky thread)

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Isawsigns
    Options
    Thanks guys, very encouraging.
    I didn't explain correctly, the Court date is in October, I'm sending evidence to the court and claimant in the next couple of weeks, not months down the line.
    The defence was sent to the court a few months ago, but was stripped down to bullet points, but it has developed considerably since....
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Isawsigns wrote: »
    The defence was sent to the court a few months ago, but was stripped down to bullet points, but it has developed considerably since....
    You cannot change your defence once submitted (well you can but for a fee) and you will have to try to work it into your WS and evidence submission.
  • Isawsigns
    Options
    Yes, I'm aware of that, the defence is not changed, only substantiated through the witness statement and evidence.
  • Isawsigns
    Options
    I won this case hands down :)
    Still at a loss at the moment though as have to do counterclaim separately.
    Will add details
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    well done

it will be an interesting read
  • Azure6
    Azure6 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Could you please share some of your winning points?

I have a court letter myself for same location!

Thank you kindly
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    its so annoying when people get help on here and then dont finish the story off, like reading a book and then finding the last few pages are missing, or doing a jigsaw and find the last few pieces are missing

I hope the OP posts the details below
  • Azure6
    Azure6 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it would be very helpful to know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income