Need a replacement Sky plus box

Options
Hi Everyone
We are going to have to replace our Sky plus box, unless a miracle has happened. It will not work, and we have now tried everything (rebooting ,reformatting etc).
Where is good for a cheap one? I am not goin to try Sky as they will try to upgrade me to HD and I am not paying £10 a month for that.
Any help gratefully received

Duds
Sealed Pot Challenge # 1040 - Doing well :)

Comments

• Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Then don't pay £10 a month, you can say no.
    Just phone Sky and either get it replaced for free or £65 the ONLY initial source of new boxes is Sky so might as well go direct, or take a gamble on an eBay 2nd hand box or get yours fixed using the sticky post at the top of the forum.
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    We managed to get a replacement Sky+ box from Sky just recently.
    The multi-room box upstairs just refused to work, but luckily the contractors had one on their van :)
    Secondhand obviously, but it was free so im not complaining :T
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Phoning to cancel because the box has stopped working and you "can't afford to buy a new one at the moment" frequently gets a new HD box for no charge. You have to go through to the cancellations department though, not ordinary customer services.

The other alternative is ebay - I got a perfect Sky+ box for £8.50 a couple of months ago.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the others - they should exchange free of charge. They offered to do this with mine as i was having problems with it, but a visit from a friendly engineer found it was the dish that was faulty and replaced that.

There are cheap skyplus boxes on ebay as people sell them after they upgrade - its better if possible to find one local to you so you can collect.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    We managed to get a replacement Sky+ box from Sky just recently.
    The multi-room box upstairs just refused to work, but luckily the contractors had one on their van :)
    Secondhand obviously, but it was free so im not complaining :T

It's not 'luck' that they had one in the van,they carry a van stock of all type of boxes for use on top of what they are issued on a daily basis for their jobs.They carry new & reconditioned boxes.
    Reason is just in case a box goes faulty on install or they pick up extra work to replace cancelled jobs.

Ironically,I replaced my Aunt's Thompson Sky+ yesterday with my old PACE one as the PSU blew on hers & when it came on,she got error messages when trying to use the Sky+ stuff.
    Just need to find somewhere now in NI that can replace the PSU for her..
  • jamesflood
    Options
    Ok, 1 tip for you.

Ring sky and tell them that you can smell burning coming from your box.

They will either send u a new 1 asap because it's a fire hazard or send someone round. If someone does come round, they cant leave you without a box so you will get 1 regardless!!

Hope this helps :)
  • dudley3012
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that they replaced free of charge. I think they should be okay with us as we have been customers for 13 years and have phone and bb with them too. We are not on the top package though. I could jsut try saying no to the HD and £10 a month but I would probably get drawn in :)
    If it is still not behaving this evening then I shall bash the phones as I cannot bear Feeview, not a bad channel mix but we only get Welsh so that is a bit annoying.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 1040 - Doing well :)
  • Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    Dont get drawn in, just say no lol!

Phoning to cancel often gets you good deals on all sorts of things, so try that first.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    dudley3012 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that they replaced free of charge. I think they should be okay with us as we have been customers for 13 years and have phone and bb with them too. We are not on the top package though. I could jsut try saying no to the HD and £10 a month but I would probably get drawn in :)
    If it is still not behaving this evening then I shall bash the phones as I cannot bear Feeview, not a bad channel mix but we only get Welsh so that is a bit annoying.

They don't.They charge £65 a call out after the first year however in some circumstances they may reduce or remove the charge.
  • jamesflood
    jamesflood Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2011 at 1:19PM
    Options
    £35 callout charge for Sky techs, or atleast that's what we are told to say at virgin :p
    Whilst ours are free :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport