PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house - no viewings

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    antwilson wrote: »
    As I keep telling you, I have extended the drive and therefore DO have parking on my side of the boundary. I park my car there every day!!

The only place where you can park your car on your side of the boundary is next to your lawn in the front and there are no photos of this parking place in your set of photos of the house so no one can see that there is any off street parking. On street view the wall is still in place so that doesn't show offstreet parking either. Not only that but on street view there is a photo of two cars parked on the shared access with the cars partly on the neighbour's land.

If you are advertising a house with off street parking buyers want to see it so that they can judge whether they can get their car on it or how many cars they can get on it. You don't need to park your car on it you just have to have a photo of it.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »
    Nonsense, Surely dressing up the property and removing clutter will give a better impression of the property. Believe it or not, not everyone has the vision to see past clutter and furniture packed rooms/gardens. Why not show off the property at its best? Of course price is key but not presenting a place at its best is madness.

Many people can look at a space and visualise what they could do with it though (many years of property TV shows have seen to that) clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount, but wouldn`t put someone off who likes the price and location IMO.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Because it can make a huge difference, rooms can look a lot smaller if they are cluttered or the photo's are poorly taken, presenting a property in the best light is always going to get you more viewers..

If you went to the supermarket and there was two bananas, one was a bit bruised and miss-shapen, and the other was not, I know which one 99% of people would go for... Obviously the price is a big factor...

So actually the worst part is complete idiots that are desperate for a house price crash giving poor and misguided advice...

Houses tend not to be "bruised and misshapen" though? They tend to be a set size and space in a set location, and can be brought up to any standard the new owner requires, regardless of the mess they may be in now, nothing like bananas actually
    :) You were right about price though :)
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Houses tend not to be "bruised and misshapen" though? They tend to be a set size and space in a set location, and can be brought up to any standard the new owner requires, regardless of the mess they may be in now, nothing like bananas actually
    :) You were right about price though :)

Clearly it was a metaphor, that given the choice between a well presented house and one that is not very well presented all other factors being roughly the same the better presented house will likely get more viewers....

Ironically though even if you bought a house for the same price as a banana you would still have lost out waiting for your fabled house price crash.
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    Many people can look at a space and visualise what they could do with it though (many years of property TV shows have seen to that) clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount, but wouldn`t put someone off who likes the price and location IMO.

Do you realise you contradicted yourself.....

You say it doesn't matter if a place is cluttered or poorly presented as people can look past it... But then you say people will use the state to try and get a discount. So a you could get less money, so it does matter.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Clearly it was a metaphor, that given the choice between a well presented house and one that is not very well presented all other factors being roughly the same the better presented house will likely get more viewers....

Ironically though even if you bought a house for the same price as a banana you would still have lost out waiting for your fabled house price crash.

Sounds like you are, internally at least, accepting that a big property price correction is in the wind?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Do you realise you contradicted yourself.....

You say it doesn't matter if a place is cluttered or poorly presented as people can look past it... But then you say people will use the state to try and get a discount. So a you could get less money, so it does matter.

I said they could try as poorly presented may also mean repairs etc. not up to date, but the reality is that now most people look at most average houses for sale and just think "Over-priced". The transaction figures bear this out.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Referring to the banana metaphor and re presentation, I think it makes a massive difference.

Bought my last house for slightly less than next-door-but-one a few months after them in 2013, and did it up and sold for £5k more than them in 2017 (we were for sale at the same time). A viewer of their house came to view mine and preferred mine - despite it being a terrace with a paved garden and theirs an end-of-terrace with side access and a grass garden. Theirs felt smaller and a bit more dated in places, despite them being pretty much the same house. They could have bought it for less than mine though!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    Sounds like you are, internally at least, accepting that a big property price correction is in the wind?

Haha you must be a delight at dinner parties....

Stranger: "Nice weather we are having today...."
    You: "No the current weather is hiding the fact there would have been a massive house price crash but people are enjoying the sun, as soon as it cools down though there will be a crash...."

I believe a property price correction could occur, or houses could continue to rise, I also believe anyone that thinks they can correctly predict the housing market one way or the other is a fool and should not be listened too.
  • buggy_boy
    Options
    I said they could try as poorly presented may also mean repairs etc. not up to date, but the reality is that now most people look at most average houses for sale and just think "Over-priced". The transaction figures bear this out.

No what you said was....

"clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount"

Ah yes the transaction figures again... June was 12.1% higher than April according to HMRC..... Doh..

https://www.showhouse.co.uk/news/hmrc-reports-uptick-in-residential-property-transactions/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure