Finders Keepers?

Options
Poll Title: Poll Started 18 October 2005: Finders Keepers? Imagine you find £50 on the floor in a pub. Which of the following answers is closest to what you'd do?

A. Hand it in to the bar staff
B. Quickly jam it into your pocket
C. Take it, but give half to charity
D. Take it to a police station
E. Ask the people around if they've lost anything, if not pocket it
F. Leave it where it is
G. Something else

Click reply to discuss or vote here.

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hand it to the bar staff and hope they will at least hand it over if anyone makes enquiries about losing one
  • cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    B Every time!!

Their loss my gain!

LOL! - But I'd probably hand it in to the bar staff though...
  • Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    E ask around (but they would have to describe it well enough to convice me....serial numbers on the notes i think...JOKE!!)

then tell the pub by telephone, giving a contact number in case anyone reports it missing. I would not give out any details though like how much, in what notes, or where abouts found. These can be used later to identify the true owner.
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not too many £50 notes around my pub...
    So would probably buy a round for the customers around the bar and keep the rest!!!!

Traf... you're back as your self?
    Cooked the chook did you???
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine once told me that he needed to employ a new P.A., and since he had 3 people (all women) that had almost identical qualifications, he asked them this question to try and find out more about their characters.

Naturally, all 3 gave different responses - actually in the same order of the 3 largest votes in this poll.

So I asked him which one he decided to employ.

"Naturally", he said "The one with the largest t*ts"

I make no apology for re-telling this, other than it is really a true story, and demonstates quite well that men are actually more shallow than women believe possible.........
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm shocked that "jam it in your pocket" is so far the most popular! :eek: If you do find one though, it was mine! ;)

And I bet you come on this site believing what you read! :rotfl:
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the 'jam it in your pocket' vote is probably a bit light hearted. I know from the place I work that if anybody accidently leaves a few pence change in one of the food/drink vending machines then an email comes round everyone askig who belongs to it. This has also happened when a significant amount of money fell out of someones pocket.

Honesty rules!

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely take it to the Police Station. That way if no-one claims it you get to keep it with a clear conscience! :j
    [
  • Binxy
    Binxy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    This actually happened to me! When I was about 13, I was walking home from school and saw a folded note in the road. I saw the 5 and assumed it was a fiver (still a lot of moeny and I was thrilled!) My mate had walked right past it, but as I had my hands full with school bags I called her back to pick it up for me.

We spent half an hour talking about what we should do. I wanted to hand it in to the police, she wanted to get home in case we got in trouble for being late.

We ended up taking it to the police station and getting a lift home in a squad car! :D

And no one claimed it so a month later it was ours! My mate made me split it with her though :rolleyes:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Binxy wrote:
    This actually happened to me! When I was about 13, I was walking home from school
    Assuming you have now left school..... would you do the same thing again?!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport