Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled

Options

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Airlines and flights other than those of UK have been operating normally until just now - the Dutch government has advised its citizens not to use Sharm el Sheik airport.

Irish airlines have been ordered not to use Sharm el-Sheikh or the Sinai peninsular airspace.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irish-aviation-authority-directs-irish-airlines-to-avoid-sinai-peninsula-34171333.html
  • Former_MSE_Paloma
    Former_MSE_Paloma Posts: 531 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
    edited 5 November 2015 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Holidaymakers have been left in the lurch after UK flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt have been suspended...
    Read the full story:

Flights to and from UK and Sharm el-Sheikh suspended: your rights

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • Lambassador
    Options
    Just called AXA travel insurance re: claiming for lost accommodation costs due to cancelled flights to Sharm and they told me I wouldn't be covered due to it being cancelled because of terrorism.

I understand that this is a common exclusion on insurance policies. Do I have any come back on the insurance company for this?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have you read the full story in the post above yours?
  • Lambassador
    Options
    Yes, however it just states that recovering accommodation costs may be difficult and that insurance may not pay out if they rule it to be terrorism. I have checked my policy and it does include cancellation cover.

My thoughts are that this is more due to a change of FCO travel advice rather than an (unconfirmed) act of terrorism. I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any lines of argument I could try with the insurer rather than just accepting their verdict as final.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    So possible options to return, for those in urgent need of getting back:

1. Boat trip to Hurghada and then flight with Monarch/ Easyjet
    2. Coach/ taxi to Cairo and flight from there
    3. Taxi to Eilat, crossing the border into Israel and then either Ryan air via Kaunas, Lithuania or internal flight (or coach) to Tel Aviv and direct from there.

All would turn this into a decent two centre holiday, but in terms of getting back easily they are probably in the right order.

On the BBC it ruled out your option 2 as the route passes through/near territory where IS operate.
  • Tashahulme17
    Options
    Was wondering if anyone can help... Booked via Travel Republic in Sept to fly to sharm on saturday 7th.. Since the above has happened we called Travel Republic to see what they could do. We agreed go transfer the holiday to Agadir... We have firstly had to pay an extra £300 as the cost was more ( even tho the hotel
    Is a lesser star!). We agreed to pay this over the phone even though i still dont think that is correct. I was told the payment had all gone through and would get an email. Next minute they ring to say the airline ( monarch) have in reased the rate by an extra £198. So now we are £500 out of pocket due to no fault of out own. Asked TR is they would cancel but advised the hotel was nob refundable so either way we were losing out. Do i have any leg to stand on to claim compensation via travel republic or abta?? Thanks
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was wondering if anyone can help... Booked via Travel Republic in Sept to fly to sharm on saturday 7th.. Since the above has happened we called Travel Republic to see what they could do. We agreed go transfer the holiday to Agadir... We have firstly had to pay an extra £300 as the cost was more ( even tho the hotel
    Is a lesser star!). We agreed to pay this over the phone even though i still dont think that is correct. I was told the payment had all gone through and would get an email. Next minute they ring to say the airline ( monarch) have in reased the rate by an extra £198. So now we are £500 out of pocket due to no fault of out own. Asked TR is they would cancel but advised the hotel was nob refundable so either way we were losing out. Do i have any leg to stand on to claim compensation via travel republic or abta?? Thanks

Did you book a Monarch package holiday?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2015 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Abta have Said independent travellers would have to rely on their travel insurance or hotel to try for a refund but airlines don't have a liability to refund more than the flight costs.
    Travellers who booked package holidays are covered for full refund or change of holiday.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 5 November 2015 at 6:20PM
    Options

Unfortunately, IMHO, I don't think that you have much of a leg to stand on. Travel Republic is not a tour operator. They don't arrange or create combinations of travel products; they simply facilitate your connection to those who do provide or arrange travel products.

Their T&C clearly state that "If your booking is with an airline listed in Appendix 1 you are the principal and you are authorising us to act as your agent in arranging that booking". Monarch Airlines are listed in Appendix 1.

So, basically, it appears that, prior to TR confirming your new booking with Monarch Airlines, on your behalf, for the flight only, Monarch have, allegedly, increased the cost by £198.00. Remember, TR are acting as your agent and you are the principal.

The T&C also state that "Your booking is not confirmed until you receive a booking confirmation". It sounds like you haven't received a confirmation of the change you agreed.

As for the hotel, the T&C for TR are quite clear that, "irrespective of the various products you book, for example a flight booking or a hotel booking, each booking is a separate booking and your bookings, even though they may be linked to the same dates of travel, do not constitute a package". Therefore, if the hotel booking is non-refundable, it's probably going to be a problem, should you wish to cancel.

To be honest, I'm certainly no expert in these matters, but personally would never book through such a company, but that, of course is no help to you, and I'm trying to be helpful.

Unless anyone else can give any more positive advice, I'd just "bite the bullet" on this one! :) Maybe I'm completely wrong and will, of course, accept anyone else's, more experienced viewpoint.

Another option, I guess, is to still go for a cancellation (if you haven't yet agreed to pay the extra charge for the flight), but ask TR what the cancellation of the hotel booking will cost you, if you do.

You can of course try a claim on your insurance as well, but I doubt it will help.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure