Flights to Sharm el-Sheikh delayed/cancelled

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I would find your second statement reassuring.

I'm sure easy jet will get you back in the next few days.

We are all okay, including the four children with us- we have reassured them with what has happened. We have our villa for as long as we need so no worries with accommodation.

We have already noticed some other changes, the prices have gone up, the blue and white local buses have started to argue with us for the same fares we have been paying the last two weeks, not just the usual haggling but fierce arguments.

We have also had a few randoms approach us to apologise about the airport and to ask us to keep coming back to Egypt.

At present, we are preparing to be here for another week and are being kept informed by friends and family by text. My only concern is my insurance runs out today and I have a medical policy although my health is fine and I am not in danger.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,991 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My only concern is my insurance runs out today and I have a medical policy although my health is fine and I am not in danger.

you may find there is something in the t&C that automatically extend if the return is delayed due to measures beyond your control.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    you may find there is something in the t&C that automatically extend if the return is delayed due to measures beyond your control.

Yes, I have contacted them and this has been confirmed.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lulalola wrote: »
    Only ten years ago a load of people were killed in suicide bomb attacks in London. Should we all be staying away from there too?

The two scenarios are completely different. In the London bombings there were no specific targets, just random poor souls who were going about their daily business. The attacks in Sharm/Egypt have a specific target - tourists. So why would any sane tourist choose to go to a destination to be a sitting duck?

Someone else mentioned Orlando being far more dangerous, however, that risk can be greatly reduced by people taking positive action and not making themselves an easy target. You don't get that choice with a terrorist attack, other than my avoiding destinations where tourists are the target.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem now is overkill in Egypt re security - terrorists are not stupid enough to try the same thing from there; BUT every tourist visiting from now on will have to go through hell when going in and out.
    Meanwhile some other airport somewhere in the world will get hit.

Exactly what some fools said after the first attack on tourists in Tunisia.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    When I was in Delhi @ Easter, you couldn't get on a train, without going thru very strict airport style security.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was in Hurghada about a year ago.
    They said the Russians had stopped coming, and business was really down, because the Rouble collapsed.

It seems Russians and Germans prefer Hurghada, because the standards and prices are higher. Obviously that left Sharm el Sheik a cheap and cheerful Brit paradise.

So what if the Russians started going down market, flooding Sharm, and drew the IS there?

Say what you like, the Egyptian military/police has a pretty tight hold on things, the tour guide needs permits to go on excursions, and there are checkpoints everywhere.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not wishing to advertise, but KLM is doing £379 return to Taipei, and it's 25/32 degrees right now. A bit hotter than November average admittedly. I am pretty sure IS has no interest in Taiwan whatsoever. They have lots of beaches, and half the island is in the Tropics.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Say what you like, the Egyptian military/police has a pretty tight hold on things, the tour guide needs permits to go on excursions, and there are checkpoints everywhere.

Obviously not tight enough to stop someone getting a bomb into the airport, getting it airside and then onto a plane.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If security could be 100% effective, how do drugs get through all the time?

The Germans were obviously slackers, they could catch all the French Resistance and shoot them all if they were really trying. David Seaman, bad boy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure