PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicki wrote: »

I'm already noticing a difference in the temperature of the house since the cannibis farm nextdoor was shut down. DD's bedroom was noticeably colder this past weekend. I think I'm going to have to dig out some fleece and line her curtains with it. The radiator is working fine in there with no cold sports, I checked. I expect this winter my gas bill will increase. :(

I just laughed out loud hysterically....really?:rotfl::rotfl:

Was the heat from the property keeping your house warm too??

Are you attached to them?

Don't think there is much chance of "free" heat here! Next door is a 75 year old widower, and the other side an 80 year old couple. All lovely people-who are sparing with their heat, and not into growing anything untoward other than veggies!!

Might have to resort to trainers in house-thanks. :T
    :j
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Mrs LW I think that I've bought the other fragrances in Home Bargains so they might have it too.
    Forgot to add before, those of you who find your feet are cold when wearing slippers might find adding insoles might help to protect you from cold floors.
    I use the wool ones which are often available from Farmers markets, they seem to emit heat when placed in bootee type slippers!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thermal insoles are good in booties. If they aren't warm enough try thermal socks with them.
  • toozie_2
    Options
    Thank you for you replies regarding my cold soles!

I have ordered some fleece insoles from Am*zon, I hope they do the trick, I do have walking soaks as well that I can use.

I don't work on Mondays, but look after grandson (18 months) it was pretty gloomy here, rain and wind, so I couldn't get out for a walk with him as usual.
    Luckily he arrived with plenty of layers on which I had to take off after his mad running around!
    NO HEATING yet, but apparently the north west may be hit by a tail end of the hurricane (from USA) by the weekend-possibly-if it happens, it'll be a good exercise to see if I've battened down the hatches enough here!

Windy is normal anyway, remember going to London 3 or 4 years ago for a weekend in Winter. The London news, and the free newspapers were talking about torrential rain and high winds hitting the capital-like it was something dreadful, and we thought OMG what's going to happen here....well the wind was actually less than we'd get at home normally, I have given up on those fold up umbrellas years ago, as they blow inside out on their first outing.
    The next day was full of news how London had coped with the high winds!!

Enjoy your day everyone.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    toozie wrote: »
    I just laughed out loud hysterically....really?:rotfl::rotfl:

Was the heat from the property keeping your house warm too??

Are you attached to them?

Don't think there is much chance of "free" heat here! Next door is a 75 year old widower, and the other side an 80 year old couple. All lovely people-who are sparing with their heat, and not into growing anything untoward other than veggies!!

Might have to resort to trainers in house-thanks. :T

We are attached to them but not our other neighbours. Its a 1930s terrace and we're an end house.

I know it sounds silly but we didn't even realise it was there. I assumed the warm patch on my daughters bedroom wall was due to a TV, maybe a reptile tank next to it, a hot water tank or that the lad just liked having a warm house (I have a friend who likes his house and work at something like 25C all year round :eek:). The odd hours could be explained by him working shifts or living with someone but they're claiming they're living as single so commiting benefit fraud, that sort of thing. It was one of those situations where something isn't quite right but there's not enough to confirm your suspicions so you feel silly calling the police as everything could be explained away.

One night someone was trying to break into the house and I saw them. I called the police and when they gained entry to check the place they found it full of cannabis plants :eek: It certain explains why our house has been warm for the last 3 years! :o:o Apparently we were lucky as they'd obviously by-passed the electricity supply and it was a sophisticated set up. I personally know we are very lucky as sometime last year I had to call the police to see if they had a contact number for the landlord as the smoke alarm was going off but I wasn't getting an answer at the door! Now I have a good idea why.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • toozie_2
    Options
    nicki wrote: »

Apparently we were lucky as they'd obviously by-passed the electricity supply and it was a sophisticated set up. I personally know we are very lucky as sometime last year I had to call the police to see if they had a contact number for the landlord as the smoke alarm was going off but I wasn't getting an answer at the door! Now I have a good idea why.

Very lucky indeed, bet you're glad to get rid of the neighbour, shame about the loss of heat, but safer now!
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    That happened to us as well. We live in a terraced house, and I used to lie in bed at night and say to Himself can you hear that humming noise. Well of course he couldn't, and I couldn't work out where it was coming from.

Anyway one night Himself went down the garden to empty the recycling and walking back up the path he could see what looked like lights (presumably heaters) from the back bedroom and tin foil at the window, there must have been a chink in the foil.

Not long after, the house was raided by the police. He seemed such a nice young man as well :):)

Candlelightx
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We're very glad to be rid of them but not liking the lost heat :rotfl: I'm hoping the landlord get the place sorted & occupied quickly, if not at least has the heating running over winter. We've had a winter with no-one living there and we started getting mould on the divinding wall due to condensation as the house nextdoor was so cold. :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • *Foxglove*
    *Foxglove* Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2015 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Phew!! 5 lb of Red Tomato Chutney made this morning. That has used up some onions from my store (allotment grown) and some cooking apples and freed some space in the freezer (where the tomatoes were).

Lovely sunny day, so I think I will spend the rest of the day until the end of school weeding and tidying the front garden...

I LOVE AUTUMN:heart::heart:
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the upstairs window is in, the lad's are still working on the downstairs window and front door, should make it warmer with no gap's from where the rubber seal had perished, also stop the rain coming in the bottom of the front door when it's persisting it down,like it has for the last 2 day's here. Just need to save up to have the rest done now.
    £71.93/ £180.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure