Broadband out of contract, line rental contract?

Options
Apologies if this is a frequently asked question but am very frustrated with this.

Am out of contract with BT broadband and have been rolling for a few months now. After moving house I was forced into upgrading to a new router (£10 delivery charge) and had a very difficult process of connecting, with BT claiming I was connected from what they could see but with no internet at my end.

In the end an engineer had to be called out and I was connected. I have lived in a few places and have been able to switch this same account over with no problems so wasn't happy but at least it was settled, right?

However connection is now awful - very slow compared to before and cuts out frequently. I saw a deal on here to switch to virgin media so did, thinking I was out of contract.

Several exasperating calls later to BT and it turns out the switch to my new property included a renewal of line rental contract (wasn't aware this was separate to broadband contract) even though broadband is rolling. I now have to pay to get out of the line rental and pay for the new router, neither of which I wanted in the first place.

Can anyone give me any tips here? Is it common to be on a line only contract? I'd like to think I'm a fairly intelligent guy and this must have been hidden well into the small print for me to not realise.

(Bear in mind I've already had virgin installed thinking this would be a matter of a phone call to cancel BT)

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Line-only contracts exist, they are how people without the internet have landlines.
  • ShaolinFunk
    Options
    Thanks. I get that line only contracts exist for people who just want a telephone line - but is it common for people to be put on them while on a rolling broadband contract with the same provider?

Or to put it another way - is it common when at the end of a broadband contract to not be able to leave because you're also on a separate line rental contract? I've never heard of this and has no idea despite apparently having signed up to this only 3 months ago
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Separate phone and broadband contracts are not unusual, some people can have line rental and broadband with totally separate company's, so obviously separate contracts, even if it's the same company , the phone contract could have a different minimum term to the broadband contract, so someone could easily be on a rolling 30 day notice for one service, but still inside a minimum term for the other, even if they joined the company and took both services at the same time.
    If you moved, that would normally start a new minimum term for both services, so if you are only inside a minimum term for broadband, that seems wrong.
    When you say 'it seems slow compared to before' , what's that mean, slow compared to service at your old address ?, there is no point comparing service at two different addresses, ADSL type broadband is 'rate adaptive' , the further away from the exchange the slower the speed, the 2 property's in question are not likely to be the same distance from the exchange .
    You need to start by comparing the speed you get, to what the speed estimator sites show your address as capable of getting, if you are getting a much lower speed than the prediction, it may be possible to improve your speed either by making your line broadband friendly yourself, of if the line has a defect, getting it repaired
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or to put it another way - is it common when at the end of a broadband contract to not be able to leave because you're also on a separate line rental contract? I've never heard of this and has no idea despite apparently having signed up to this only 3 months ago

You would think that a contract for broadband would finish at the same date as your landline contract.
    Or are they saying you entered into a new contract?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure