Unrecognised transaction by CarrickMines

Options
I've been charged €239.98 to my Halifax credit card by a company called "Carrickmines" for "Cable and Other Pay Television Services". I don't recognised it at all. Does anyone know who they are? I'm worried that I might have signed up to something and failed to cancel it, but can't think what. All I can find out is that Carrickmines is a suburb of Dublin.

I tried phoning Halifax but they are experiencing heavy call volumes blah blah blah, so will have to sort it out with them by post.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It would be much quicker and easier to either hold on the phone for a while or contact them online.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2019 at 10:12AM
    Options
    It would be much quicker and easier to either hold on the phone for a while or contact them online.

Plus more effective if the payment is unauthorised and the card can be blocked there and then, over the phone.
    Postal contact will be too slow if it is indeed a fraudulent transaction. Risk of further money being taken.
    However, it could just be " I might have signed up to something and failed to cancel it". I think I would know if I'd signed up to something costing close to 240 Euro.

You still need to check a.s.a.p. though.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Concur with the above, although myself I can't really be doing with being on hold for more than 20 minutes :( However having said that you could try at different times of the day and you may be able to 'get through' without too much of a wait. :)

I have found it best to ignore in most cases what is said by each company (in general) about peak times / good times to call as it varies so much. Just pick a convenient moment for yourself and try.

Vaguely related but: I'm assuming its either a free or 'local call rate' number ? If not would be probably worth looking for this for them if you're paying for the call itself directly.
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    I've been charged €239.98 to my Halifax credit card by a company called "Carrickmines" for "Cable and Other Pay Television Services". I don't recognised it at all. Does anyone know who they are? I'm worried that I might have signed up to something and failed to cancel it, but can't think what. All I can find out is that Carrickmines is a suburb of Dublin.

I tried phoning Halifax but they are experiencing heavy call volumes blah blah blah, so will have to sort it out with them by post.

Well it cant be that important if your going to sort it out via postal method!?!

Personally if it were me and I had a transaction I don't recognise I would be waiting on that phone no matter how long it took to speak to someone.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't agree. Halifax are already providing a poor service in (a) not answering calls in a reasonable time and (b) not providing an email address that I can write to to explain the issue. If that causes me further loss then I will make a complaint against Halifax and ask for compensation for that. I think I had quite a bit from them once before for a similar issue. That's the way the world works these days.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 October 2019 at 2:24PM
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Vaguely related but: I'm assuming its either a free or 'local call rate' number ? If not would be probably worth looking for this for them if you're paying for the call itself directly.

I miss the 0845 numbers. "are you calling from a landline or mobile..."
    The "if you're calling from abroad" number works even if you aren't calling from abroad.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can block the card in their APP.

Not bought any electrical products?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 14 October 2019 at 5:41PM
    Options
    I don't agree. Halifax are already providing a poor service in (a) not answering calls in a reasonable time and (b) not providing an email address that I can write to to explain the issue. If that causes me further loss then I will make a complaint against Halifax and ask for compensation for that. I think I had quite a bit from them once before for a similar issue. That's the way the world works these days.

It is Monday morning. They probably are experiencing a high volume of calls. Monday morning is a busy time.
    Impssible to comprehend your attitude. Halifax are not at fault here. You appear far more interested in complaining about Halifax for having a busy Monday morning that resolving the problem.
    Further loss? What loss have you suffered so far and what further loss do you expect to suffer?
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I don't think Halifax are providing a poor service as you've yet to let them provide any kind of service regarding the payment you say is unauthorised,

If you believe Halifax provide poor service then why don't you change provider to someone you think will provide better service.

It seems you would rather complain on a forum than actually do something about it.
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »

My recollection is that the FCA has required that financial services companies provide free or local rate phone numbers for existing customers to contact them on for about three or four years now. The practical effect of this is that such calls are usually included in phone "bundles".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure