£1 London Hoxton hotel rooms

Options
21 January 2008

What's it about?

A hotel in Hoxton, London is offering rooms for £1 a night for bookings between 1 February to 30 April. The price even includes breakfast! There are 500 rooms at the special rate, and you can book them online from 12pm Thursday 24 January 2008. It is very likely these will all be gone by 12.30pm at the latest, so ensure you get the timing right.

At that price surely the rooms can't be that good?

See for yourself. Check out the hotel's photo gallery (if that's not working due to traffic, visit the Trip Adviser review). This is a mid to higher level little hotel; which you'd probably expect to pay £50 - £80 a night for. This £1 promotion is exactly that; a marketing promotion; hence if you can grab it, do!

Why the hurry if they're not available yet?

The hotel have run this £1 offer four times before and the rooms went like proverbial hotcakes (though many of those were MoneySavers as each time its in the weekly email as you'll see from reports below). It's a bit of a lottery who getsIf you are looking to stay in London between February and April, then get online at 12am sharp (or better still from about 15 mins before)

What if I can't get a £1 room?

Once the £1 rooms are sold out for a particular night the next cheapest discounted price is £29, still not a particularly bad price for a room in London.

Also see the full Cheap Hotels guide for lots more options

P.S. This discussion was originally started by the poster immediately below. This entry has been inserted so we can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you to ukmonkey for spotting the offer.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Admins please don't delete this time!

As per subject really! Starts at 12pm.

www.hoxtonhotel.com

FYI, this hotel is a stone's throw from Old Street tube station, which is on the Northern line, so very easilly accessable from Kings X/St P/Euston railway stations.

Update 21/08/07 - thanks to "Beate" for this
    Beate wrote: »
    This email just popped into my inbox at work so I just thought I post it as it seems to have a bit more info on the sale:

Subject: Hoxton Hotel £1 Room Sale
    Good morning,
    With rising energy prices, the alleged credit crunch and lots of rain, we thought we would try and brighten up your day by letting you know that our next £1 sale will take place on the 24th January at 12 Noon.
    We have 500 rooms at £1 and 500 rooms at £29 available; that’s 5 rooms each night at £1 and 5 rooms at £29 available every day from the 1st February to 30th April 2008.
    During our last sale, in October, we made some improvement to our on-line booking system but, sadly, it is still not perfect. Please bear with us – we continue to work with our technology partner to make the system easier to use.
    To make the sale as fair as possible, you are only allowed to book one room, for one night at £1. If we find anyone misbehaving, we will cancel all their bookings.
    In previous sales, we have had over 200,000 people trying to book these rooms. We are expecting a similar amount of traffic during this sale so you may not be successful. However we still have other bargains available including:
    ·Rooms for just £79 over the Easter weekend
    ·All Sundays in June are currently just £30
    To help make the process easier and to try and reduce confusion we have provided a clearstep-by-step guide of how to book (click here for the full details.) The quicker you are the luckier you will be...
    All the best for 2008.

David Taylor
    General Manager

The Hoxton. 81 Great Eastern St. London, EC2A 3HU. UK
    Registered in England and Wales with company number 03850699.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure blindman won't mind me copying his hints over to this thread, as they are very helpful:
    blindman wrote: »
    No time as yet on the web-site as to when the rooms will be released.

As before

Don't forget to use the HTML Page to book.

Do NOT use the FLASH page- it can't cope.

TIP:
    1) Do a dummy booking now for your dates to see if the Hotel has availability.

2) Download and install an AUTO fill tool to help with filling in the form. e.g Roboform- 30day free trial
    Practice using it before the big day!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jimmymac87
    Options
    Great, but am I the only one sick of reading about the Hoxton Hotel £1 rooms thing. Like last year, there will be massive hype, then massive disappointment that the hotel can't fit a million rooms in their building
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimmymac87 wrote: »
    Great, but am I the only one sick of reading about the Hoxton Hotel £1 rooms thing. Like last year, there will be massive hype, then massive disappointment that the hotel can't fit a million rooms in their building

Erm, potentially.

I'd love a £1 room, but promise not to post endlessly about disappointment and begging anyone if they got one they don't need. :)
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • dmg24
    Options
    Many people do get them though jimmymac87. If you don't want to read it, then don't click on the thread? The subject is pretty clear! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jimmymac87
    Options
    grayme-m wrote: »
    Erm, potentially.

I'd love a £1 room, but promise not to post endlessly about disappointment and begging anyone if they got one they don't need. :)

Hehe, ok then - you're allowed ;)

Good luck though to those who try
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    The subject is pretty clear! x

Unlike your sig, I've got an image of you that you probably wouldn't like... :o

What does it really mean.

But as you say, you can ignore a thread quite easily. :)
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • welsh_cake
    Options
    Ok - a couple of things please - how do i get the computer to do that HTML thingy? I don't want to be stuck on 24th with a slow computer!!! Also, can you book these rooms for weekends or is it just week days? Many thanks
    If dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go. :A
  • V_tricky
    V_tricky Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    BTW - although the Hoxton does a basic breakfast of yogurt & granola, juice & a banana all from Pret which is included in the price, in the same building is the Hoxton Grille which does a full breakfast for £8.50 or £9.

When we stayed there we had dinner at the Grille and it was pitch black, and pretty pants all round.

On the way to the theatre though, and only a 5 minute walk away, we stumbled across Jamie Oliver's 'Fifteen' restaurant

You don't need to prebook, their breakfast was 50p cheaper than the Hoxton Grille and was absolutely without doubt the best breakfast I've ever tasted in my life (although the fresh OJ was pricey). Highly recommended for those lucky one's that manage to get their £1 rooms!
    :smiley: All posts made are my own opinions and constitute neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers :smiley:
  • dmg24
    Options
    welsh_cake wrote: »
    Ok - a couple of things please - how do i get the computer to do that HTML thingy? I don't want to be stuck on 24th with a slow computer!!! Also, can you book these rooms for weekends or is it just week days? Many thanks

For the HTML thingy(!), just click on the link above, it will take you to the page.

Rooms are available for weekends and weekdays x
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family