Rentalcars.com unfair no show fee

Options
2»

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    You should have no trouble reclaiming your costs in court using the phone bills and the Rentalcar instructions as evidence.
    So prepare your case and send a "letter before action".
    There are several cases on here of car hire companies backing down when presented with phone bills to corroborate the customer case.

The problem is not with the car hire company, but RentalCars. The car hire company was not contacted at all.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    The problem is not with the car hire company, but RentalCars. The car hire company was not contacted at all.
    Perhaps I should have you said that you proceed against Rentalcars as they are the people you paid.
  • biggmick1
    biggmick1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar situation 2 years ago with a delayed flight to Barcelona where the Rental car office was closed when my flight finally arrived. I hadn't tried to contact either the booking company (ebookers) or the rental company (Goldcar). When the rental office opened the next morning, the company wouldn't honour the booking and wanted to charge 3 times the original price for the same car. While I was waiting at the desk I went directly to Goldcars website and booked the car online for £10 less than the price I had originally paid. I then carried on with the booking at the desk.
    Once home I emailed ebookers and they agreed to refund the money I originally paid. Although it took 3 more emails to get them to follow up on this promise to pay, eventually they did.
    One thing I would say, because the booking was in October the price was a lot lower than Andy paid (in the 40-50 Euro range)
  • AndySofa
    Options
    HI all

Just as an update to this. After starting an online dispute resolution through the EU ODR site, rentalcars.com agreed to refund me so long as I dropped all proceedings. I think they just expect people to roll over and accept the loss.

Thanks

Andy
  • goatfood
    Options
    Anyone else having the same issue -

Rentalcars.com will normally reject a claim on first contact, its their way of closing customer services cases quickly. If you contact them a 2nd and then 3rd time they will usually give in as its no longer cost effective for them. Most car hire companies do not charge rentalcars.com for the hire unless its used, so if you keep asking they will normally refund as a goodwill gesture despite the terms and conditions.

If you do have phone records to show you tried to contact them at the time off pick up they will refund you, as they realise that is probably their fault
    £235.98/£2015 in 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport