Travelling to London

Options
On Monday I am going to London on the train (the first time in over 20 years) I have bought online a ticket on the overground to Liverpool Street.
How do I pay on the underground

Can I pay by credit card?
Do I have to get an Oyster card?
Can I buy a ticket online?
Does anyone know the cost?

What trains do I need to Euston?
Is it better to take the bus if so how and how much?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    On the underground just use any contactless card at the barriers. If you buy a paper ticket it costs more.

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    On the underground just use any contactless card at the barriers. If you buy a paper ticket it costs more.

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/

When do I show the contactless card at start or end of journey?

Which line/lines do I use?

Is it quicker by bus?

Do I have to get an Oyster card? - If so do I have to have a smat phon (ie I phone) I have a Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you tap the contactless to get through the barriers at both ends, you can use it on the bus too but you just tap in for that
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • aardvaak
    Options
    you tap the contactless to get through the barriers at both ends, you can use it on the bus too but you just tap in for that

So if I tap it on both occasions won't it charge me twice?
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »

no. you tap to open the barriers to get in, and tap to open the barriers to exit. The system then works out the cheapest fare for the day, dependant on all your taps
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Nope, you tap for the barrier to let you out on the underground too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You mention Liv St and Euston.

Do you have a through ticket from somewhere around Essex to somewhere in North London

If so the ticket should show the maltese cross sign which means transfer by tube is included already and you don't need to pay again.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

No, but if you don't tap out at the end of the journey you may get charged more (it depends on whether you hit the cap for the day).

For planning journeys within London I'd recommend the TfL journey planner

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The easy way from Liverpool Street to Euston is to take the Circle or Metropolitan line for 5 stops to Euston Square station.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it quicker by bus?

Absolutely not.
    The tubes are hot (actually some have air con) and can be very crowded at peak times, but that's becuase it's a quick, regular and reliable way to get around.

With a bus you may have to wait for one but the main issue is that they are subject to traffic.
    If you want a leisurely comfortable ride and don't have time constraints then take the bus, but if you need to get somewhere then the tube is much more reliable even though it may be crowded an you might have to stand.
    Liverpool st to Euston square is about 10 mins on the tube so not too long to stand up.
  • aardvaak
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    No, but if you don't tap out at the end of the journey you may get charged more (it depends on whether you hit the cap for the day).

For planning journeys within London I'd recommend the TfL journey planner

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The easy way from Liverpool Street to Euston is to take the Circle or Metropolitan line for 5 stops to Euston Square station.

What is " hit the cap for the day"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport