Same Sex Couples & Home Insurance

Options
Advice needed please. My partner and I have been living together for 23 years. We had a
Burglary and the insurance company will not pay out for my stolen items and they are saying I am classed as a visitor due to us not having a civil partnership. Is this right??? If we were a straight couple (unmarried) living together would they treat them the same? Seems very unfair and have never had a previous claim in all these years which would have highlighted this to us. TYIA

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,537 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    they are saying I am classed as a visitor due to us not having a civil partnership. Is this right??

When you are not married or in a civil partnership, it is best to be both named on the policy. And many providers ask how many people and age range (adult or child). If not family and not the homeowner, they may refuse cover if they believe you are a lodger
    If we were a straight couple (unmarried) living together would they treat them the same?

Yes.

Are you the homeowner (or joint homeowner)?

You could raise a complaint and put your case to them that you are living as a couple and have been for 23 years. They may change their decision. The complaints team tend to have the ability to override decisions and more discretion than front line staff or clerical staff dealing with claims.

However, going forward, make you are both named on the insurance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have any other evidence you're a couple like joint bank account, sharing bills, holidaying together etc etc.

Any of this may help when you present your case to the Insurers
  • Make an official complaint to the insurer, and include any evidence you have that you are a couple (e.g. shared bank accounts, joint mortgages, relationship history etc.) If that doesn't work, escalate to FOS.
  • Snowy20
    Options
    I have escalated this now and will let you know of the outcome. We have lots of evidence to prove our relationship. Thank you.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    First time I have heard this. I set up our B&C policy in my name only, I wish my gf was a visitor, she might go back to her mums for a bit :-P

Can you let us know how you get on as I know loads of people who have a policy in one name only and I am surprised the other person would be classed as a visitor. I would like to think you would get this sorted, if not, take it to the financial ombudsman.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't say which insurer it is but picking one at random I looked at Direct Line's policy documents and found this in the definitions

You, your: The person or persons named in your schedule and any of the following who normally live with them: their husband, wife, partner (a person living with them as though married), civil partner, children, parents and other relatives normally living with them.

ie an unmarried partner is considered to be on an equal footing with the policyholder, even if it's not specifically set up as a joint policy. So if policy is similar, and assuming you have some evidence of being more than housemates (shouldn't be difficult after 23 years) your complaint should be successful. Good luck.

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not really surprising that the OP is a "new poster " with a controversial first post, is it?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Not really surprising that the OP is a "new poster " with a controversial first post, is it?

Sadly no, it pushes the right buttons at the right time.

Probably spam.
  • Snowy20
    Options
    The insurance company is AXA.
    I have used Resolver to escalate this.
    And no it's not spam!!!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snowy20 wrote: »
    The insurance company is AXA.
    I have used Resolver to escalate this.
    And no it's not spam!!!

If you weren't named on the policy then you were a visitor in their eyes, gay or straight...

I've never seen a policy not ask for details of the household.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure