Same Sex Couples & Home Insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Not really surprising that the OP is a "new poster " with a controversial first post, is it?

It doesn't strike me as being a controversial post/thread.
    boo_star wrote: »
    Sadly no, it pushes the right buttons at the right time.

Probably spam.

Does it?!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ignore the haters, and thanks for letting us know the outcome. Good luck.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP seems reasonable and the question was fair.

I suspect its old T&C that hasnt been updated for a long time. Complaints tend to lead to updates and maybe they just havent had an identified case in this situation and no-one has looked at it and its just trundled along as it used to be. I would expect success on the complaint as long as there is evidence of co-habiting as a relationship.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Snowy20 wrote: »
    The insurance company is AXA.
    Assuming you have AXA's standard wording they define "family" (page 54) as "Your spouse, domestic partner or civil partner, children, domestic staff and/or any other person permanently living with you and not paying for their accommodation." So your partner should certainly be treated as family rather than a lodger, gay or straight.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, are you on the tenancy agreement or mortgage agreement? If not, then you have no legal right of occupation.
    Are you named on the house insurance policy as an occupier?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Your council tax bill will be the best proof you're living together, you should both be named on it. Or at least there should be no 25% discount, proving that your partner doesn't live alone.

Do you claim any benefits? If you've declared a partner when claiming benefits that's more proof.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What may have happened is that only 1 person was declared on the application & thus anyone else staying there is a visitor unless there is a legal connection (ie marriage, CP)

or alternatively the call-centre jockey has made a mistake & you should follow their complaints escalation procedure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport