We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thegreenhousepeople.co.uk - it's sale time right now as they clear stock ready for the new season

Thanks, they look smart! Way out my price range though, im thinking more like £20 and copious cans of WD40.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Thanks, they look smart! Way out my price range though, im thinking more like £20 and copious cans of WD40.
    WD40 ? (Wondering if I'm missing a trick here)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WD40 ? (Wondering if I'm missing a trick here)

I was just thinking the bolts on a £20 greenhouse thats probably older than me are going to be difficult to remove.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread Dizzy Ditzy. I'm sort of on track for this year but I just need to finish off composting some of the beds. One tunnel is fine and still producing the other is not so tidy so I need to get in there ASAP as I got 2 fan shaped apricot trees this Christmas and I want to do them proud.
    I need to go through all my seeds and decide which ones to use, and which ones to throw away. I know it sounds wasteful but who needs 350 kale seeds on the front of every magazine I seem to buy, whereas there's only 35 seeds of sweetcorn in one packet - I need at least 3 packets - rant over

Kantankrus Mare Your dad will be on the allotment before you know it. Just don't let him overdo it to start off with and make sure he has a chair so he can rest. Chatting to the other allotmenteers could be just the tonic he needs. I had valve replacements and bipasses last yr, 11hrs in surgery. I came home on day 9 and was in the supermarket on day 10, on my kawasaki mule by day 14 and back driving the car at 6 weeks. I realised that the heart is so well protected by the ribs that the healing of the sternum is the most important thing to get right. I was so careful not to knock myself but apart from that I just got on with life and the joy of not being out of breath, being able to walk up hills, to not feel tired all the time is hard to articulate. Give him 6 months and he'll be like a spring chicken again.

Just starting to go dark so must go and give the chickens their corn.
  • teachergirl
    Options
    Can I join in???? We have had an allotment for years. which is mostly just used for potatoes onions and raspberries as we were both working full time and looking after elderly relatives. This year we have both retired and have only one elderly relative to look after so hopefully a lot more time for growing .
    Bought a lot of vegetable seed packets at the RHS show for a £1 a packet and have already ordered them so we know when to plant.
    I am also keen to be a bit more adventurous. Anyone tried sweet potato???? They look a bit complicated but doable. Just wondered if anyone had ever tried;)
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • unrecordings
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I was just thinking the bolts on a £20 greenhouse thats probably older than me are going to be difficult to remove.
    Of course... (sometimes I'm too machiavellian for my own good)

• Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

I've looked out my DK book I got last Christmas, Grown your own in 1sqm (or something like that). I'm going to get a read through and see if I can pick out what I want to grow, and how much space it's likely to take up,

x
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Let's see if I can keep up this year. Tumour came back last autumn so can barely type, never mind manipulate small seedlings, but things are improving incrementally. I Put the last of 2018's tomatoes in a chilli yesterday (well I 'supervised' the putting of the tomatoes in the chilli). Only lost about six after neglecting them for a month in storage. Got a whole heap of catalogues to go through from the usual suspects, and another heap to recycle. I also need to go through 2018's gardening magazines, scan the useful articles & drop the magazines off at the chemo ward next time I'm there

Sorry to hear the tumour is back unrecordings. You seem so positive, I really hope you beat it into submission and you can live your life as positively and actively as you wish. I know from previous posts you are very supportive, with experience and advice to share with us less experienced forumites. So even if it is at a distance from your garden/allotment, do try and keep posting here!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone
    Glad I found you this year and good to see some familiar names.

Last year I had to cope with family bereavements and was away for large parts of the year - clearing Mum's house on the other side of the country.

So my allotment went to pot and the best I could do was to collect anything that managed to show through. So not much in the way of brassicas this year.

The good news is I've taken on another half plot which I've covered and will be going 'no dig' with. So just a bit of garlic in and some onions in at the mo.

But I have plenty of seeds - so will be in planning mode for the next couple of weeks and then back in the saddle.

Happy growing everyone.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Sorry to hear the tumour is back unrecordings. You seem so positive, I really hope you beat it into submission and you can live your life as positively and actively as you wish. I know from previous posts you are very supportive, with experience and advice to share with us less experienced forumites. So even if it is at a distance from your garden/allotment, do try and keep posting here!

Thanks for the kind words - there's a certain bloodymindedness involved (either that or I'm too stupid to understand the danger I'm in)

Anyway, in October, before I lost the use of a hand, I got my onions, shallots & garlic in. Black Tuscany kale & Bedford Fillbasket sprouts are overwintering, Ive still got some carrots, some Oca (mainly just to keep it going - my crop is descended from two plants I bought about five years ago) I've also got some pretty ratty looking Tatsoi - and I've some Chinese Mahogany growing on a windowsill - not tried it yet but it's nearly ready for me to try a leaf. This year I might endeavour to add some photos too...

Safe gardening everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure