PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Possible forced sale sale of apartment!

Options

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 10:56AM
    Options
    I'd say that this will have been going for some time, too. That amount of money owing and the fact that they are prepared to go to court doesn't speak of something that's happened overnight.

We had to take someone to court for non payment of service charges once. No-one wanted to do it but he, wilfully, refused to pay. In the end, there was a charge put on his house. He moved fairly soon after so we did get the money owed.

The thought of taking someone's house away is a complete anathema to me. I just don't think I could do it. But, all the other residents were, in effect, paying for his service charges and were very much up in arms. To be fair, he was also a nuisance and broke gates etc.

The others are right. You and your mum have to deal with this now. Eddddy is, as usual, spot on.

ETA.

As a first step engage with the council. In my experience debtors often don't do this and silence makes creditors wary. If nothing else, it might just buy you some time, if they think someone is, actually, trying to resolve the situation.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    That case in the link is an absolute disgrace.

A reasonably happy ending though, at least better than the alternative.

https://www.betterretirementhousing.com/pensioner-73-given-last-minute-reprieve-over-forfeiture-of-his-home/
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely engage with the council. Even just telling them that someone else is aware of the problem and looking at how they can solve it may be enough to get them to delay their action. The council would rather not take your mother to court, but they need to collect the arrears (I imagine it's even a legal obligation for them to collect the arrears)

Best case you and the council can agree a payment plan that will clear the arrears. If you do that, make sure you stick to it. What are you expecting to earn as a graduate? £12k is a lot if you're only earning say £20k per year. What happens if the graduate role falls through? Will this be a gift to your mother? Make sure you both understand if you expect the money to be repaid (even if only in the event of her death).

More likely, you'll realise that between you you cannot afford the arrears and on going costs of this property. Can either of you increase your income? Check if there are any benefits either of you could be claiming (this site is a great place to start, also try your local Citizens Advice Bureau).

If you still can't afford it, you'll need to sell it and find somewhere cheaper. If you can show that the flat is on the market the council may be willing to pause the court action.

Do not allow the lease to be forfeit (see posts above).

Whatever you do, keep communicating with the council, and respect any dates/deadlines they give you.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • Stuckinmud
    Stuckinmud Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2018 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been offered and I've signed the contract for the graduate role. The salary is good during the first year, so I should be able to cover her liabilities.
    I will gift the money to her, because she needs it. If she leaves me extra upon her death then that would be nice, but at this moment in time I will class this transaction as a gift.

Now once I secure the docs this week I will be calling the council & co to attach myself to any payment plan that's currently live right now.

Edit - your advice is right on the money.. i will talk to my mum about the gift.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stuckinmud wrote: »
    Now once I secure the docs this week I will be calling the council & co to attach myself to any payment plan thats currently live right now.

Are you sure that is a wise move? A legal connection to the debt will screw your own credit rating which could take years to recover.

I'm not saying don't help, but be careful the way you go about it.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Stuckinmud
    edited 27 May 2018 at 6:38PM
    Options
    Updates:
    1) I've received the documents.
    There are x2 judgement for claimant forms with the county court stamp on it, the claim forms relate to the debt on the property. I'm really worried now because I'm not sure if my mother replied to these letters on time.

2) Since my last post, I've taken action. I've managed to increase the amount of disposable income I have now. I've done this by giving up the room that I'm currently renting so I will be up approximately £450 a month now, money which I can now use to contribute towards my mother's debt.

Quick question-
    Who should I contact regarding payment, should I approach the council or their solicitors ??
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick question. What is your mum doing to clear her debt?

Is she working? Taking on a 2nd job? Making any payments?

Or is she burying her head in the sand? I ask because of the latter then nothing will change.

Does she have other debts she isn't paying? Just bear in mind that whilst what you are doing is very kind, your giving up your own life and she too needs to be making the effort
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    you sound very kind, but leeching off you won't sort the underlying problem.

why is MUM not on here posting for help? If you fix it now, you'll be fixing it forever.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stuckinmud wrote: »

I plan on taking over the management of this property in September. I can't do so now as I'm abroad completing an internship/I'm not liquid. I will be starting a graduate role in September and I will be using my salary to settle the liabilities on this apartment.

If you plan on taking over this flat, then the £12k needs paying NOW.

Clearly your mum has been burying her head in the sand and this has perhaps got quite far down the line.

Either borrow the £12k and pay it for her, or organise for the flat to be sold.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Stuckinmud
    Options
    She secures work through an agency. The agency doesn't always pay her wages on time, often they can be 2 months behind payment which is frustrating. I would like to take action against her employers, but I've been told to stand back because she doesn't want me to rock the boat and lose her hours.

My mum hasn't posted on MSE for help as she is far from tech-savvy, she can barely text using her phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure