IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye / BPA - Parking Charge Notice - Struggling

Options
Hi,

We have received a letter today from ParkingEye in relation to a recent visit to a Holiday Inn hotel car park. According to the letter our stay lasted a total of 51 minutes.

Although there is signage apparantely in the car park we never noticed this.

I've read some of the posts on here (and other websites), but overwhelmed on where to get started.

I thought the best idea initially was to e-mail the hotel in question in the hope that they can cancel this, but don't want to say something that I shouldn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2018 at 1:15AM
    Options
    Yes, the best idea is to get onto the hotel about getting this cancelled - assuming you were a legitimate visitor to the hotel.
    Is the hotel near you? If so a visit to see the manager might be best.
    If not give the hotel a ring.
    If the hotel manager won't help then an email to the Holiday Inn's head office is next.

When doing this, use the terms 'we visited' and 'we parked', as you did in your opening post, to avoid giving away who was driving.

Do however, keep an eye on your appeal window.

Make sure your appeal is sent to PE in the timescale allowed if the hotel haven't cancelled by then.

Read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread where you will find an already written template appeal text.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I will give that a go.

Very worried about this so hopefully they will help.

Thanks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If you had a genuine reason to use the hotel, if they will not help, write bad things on their TripAdvisor page.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good advice about contacting the hotel.

Did you receive the NtK within 14 days of the event? If not, please give us the date of the contravention and the date on the NtK.
  • darren72
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Good advice about contacting the hotel.

Did you receive the NtK within 14 days of the event? If not, please give us the date of the contravention and the date on the NtK.

Yes, the letter was dated a couple of days after the event and arrived a few days after that.

I'm concerned though as just realised that we went back to the same place a couple of days later, so probably be getting yet another of these through any day :(
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    I'm concerned though as just realised that we went back to the same place a couple of days later, so probably be getting yet another of these through any day :(
    Before that happens, get the hotel to sort it out.

Don't wait. Be proactive.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Complain about BOTH events to the Hotel Manager, then escalate it to the Head Office. Say how hounded and upset you feel, and will never visit again...blah blah...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • darren72
    Options
    Just had a message back about the first one (before I realised that I would probably be getting a second), stating that they will cancel it but to allow 21 days for the cancellation to go through and to ignore any automatic letters from ParkingEye.

I think I am best waiting until I get the second before going back to them, as I don't have a reference number yet.

Do you all think it is wise to still submit an appeal to ParkingEye basically just stating that the hotel are cancelling it (and including a copy of their correspondance) ?? - I don't trust ParkingEye so want to make sure I leave all options open.

Thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.

Until you get confirmation from pe they cancelled it you should keep on with sending in the appeal and if necessary popla appeal as advised in the FAQ
  • darren72
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Yes.

Until you get confirmation from pe they cancelled it you should keep on with sending in the appeal and if necessary popla appeal as advised in the FAQ

Thanks - Do I still need to do a full appeal with reasons at this point though, or just state that the hotel have agreed to cancel this ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure