Tenancy Rip-Off

Options
Apologes if this has already been covered.

Had to arrange my Step-Daughters accommodation for university, the tenancy agreement is for 51 weeks, given that the term ends at the end of June, is it fair that she will have to pay for July & August?

I think this is a rip off, is there anything that we can do to avoid paying over £1,000.00 for 2 months rent that's obviously not required?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's pretty normal for university accommodation to be for a full year, and of course there's nothing to stop her continuing to live there during the summer. I'd say it's probably more usual for the summer months to be at the start of the tenancy than at the end, and sometimes the LL will reduce the level of rent in exchange for access to the property to do maintenance.

Does she intend to rent the same property for the next year? If so continuous tenancy may make sense anyway.

To avoid paying for a full year she'd need to find a LL that offers a shorter tenancy.
  • APW
    APW Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    This accommodation is arranged via the university (Manchester Met). The students should be able to rent for when its term time only. When she does not have a reason to at university my step-daughter wants to be a home or on holiday not forced to stay in Manchester.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    APW wrote: »
    The students should be able to rent for when its term time only.

Is this your opinion, or something that MMU say but the LL is not adhering to?

My niece studied at MMU and as far as I recall both years that she was in private accommodation she had to rent for a full year.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No one is forcing her to go to University in Manchester or accept those terms.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How is the LL supposed to get payment for those weeks the students aren't there, yet presumably leave all their stuff (and mess) there while they're gone?

Not that I disagree, I have two at uni paying for 12 month lets, but are home for many weeks of the year (Leeds, so seems standard practice). One of them will be home end of may but has paid until end of July.
    Not much choice but to find the shortest let available,
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The time it is a rip off is when even though they pay for the accomodation they can't use it for all that period. Not totally unusual either.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you find alternative accommodation that will cease the tenancy at the end of June?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's pretty standard student rental in my experience once you have done the first year

Occupation is usually from the beginning of September until either the end of july or August although not all students need or want the summer months.

You usually find that the rental payments are made in 3 maybe 4 larger payments to co incide with the student grant dates.

This year we have a payment looming for our student offspring on 1st may for an amount that far exceeds the time that they will be in occupation of the property (will leave after final exam beginning of june)
    but that's just the nature of the tenancy agreement that was signed.

Different agencies do different ways,perhaps look round next year for something more suitable to your individual needs
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,029 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MMU definitely has halls where the contract is for a shorter period. Just looking at their website and the first one I click on was Briarfields that has 39 week contracts.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure