Life after Help to Buy ISA

Options
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to complete on a house in June of this year for which I used my Help to Buy ISA.

Now, as I've already paid into that Help to Buy ISA this tax year, does that technically mean that I can't open and pay into another ISA of any sort?

Comments

• LMS94
    LMS94 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You can open a new ISA each tax year, it doesn't matter if you've paid into one this tax year.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LMS94 wrote: »
    You can open a new ISA each tax year, it doesn't matter if you've paid into one this tax year.

Wrong.....
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 September 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    tjl694 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to complete on a house in June of this year for which I used my Help to Buy ISA.

Now, as I've already paid into that Help to Buy ISA this tax year, does that technically mean that I can't open and pay into another ISA of any sort?

You can pay into one ISA of each type (cash, S&S, IF, lifetime) in each tax year. You can also close an ISA once in a tax year and then pay into another of the same type. This is what you would be doing.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    You can also close an ISA once in a tax year and then pay into another of the same type.
    This is true for the OP, but it's important to appreciate that this provision applies to cash ISAs (including HTB) and the rules are stricter for other types of ISA.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    tjl694 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Assuming you mean cash savings, another ISA is not the best idea.

Have a look here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account/#steps-2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family