Unusual Travel Insurance Requirement

Options
I'll try to keep this brief

2 friends want to come with us on expensive holiday to Australia & NZ for our 'big' birthdays in Feb 2020. Mine & other half already covered.

Friend 1 - UK citizen, permanently resident in Sweden
Friend 2 (her partner) - Swedish citizen, permanently resident in Sweden.
Both friends under 65
Both have elderly widowed mum, mid 80s, living independently, no health problems, resident in UK & Sweden respectively.

Friends' Home Insurance:cool: also covers them for medical treatment abroad etc but not for cancellation. 'Upgrade' of existing policy not possible

Because of obvious risk of potentially having to cancel, they need that cover.

I've looked at World Nomads, but a review said they only cover cancellation if the 'close relative' lives in the same country. So that looks like a non starter for Friend 1.

Can anyone recommend where else I can look?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Friend one takes insurance out in other country ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They live in Sweden so should look at Swedish travel insurance.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ^^^^This^^^^

Policies issued in the UK are for residents of the UK. Your status and insurance arrangements are irrelevant, they need to find a policy in Sweden which covers their requirements.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Friend one takes insurance out in other country ?
    They live in Sweden so should look at Swedish travel insurance.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Policies issued in the UK are for residents of the UK. Your status and insurance arrangements are irrelevant, they need to find a policy in Sweden which covers their requirements.

Thanks for the comments. This situation cannot be that unusual:cool: and I've discovered that there are policies issued in the UK, which cover non UK residents.

For example, and in case it is of use to anyone else

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/non-uk-already-travelled
  • Moe_The_Bartender
    Options
    There are also policies issued in the UK for UK citizens living in other countries. Try Staysure.
    The fascists of the future will call themselves anti-fascists.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "Most" UK travel insurance requires you to be within the UK for 6 months within the last 12 to be classed as "resident" you can pay for non resident insurance or speak to the underwriter to see if they will cover this comes at a premium, however given their situation they will properly be best to look for Swedish travel insurance and see if the friend with the mum in the UK can get the underwriter to cover this.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Have you looked at the price difference between cancellable flights and non cancellable? Sometimes it's not that big, and sometimes the cheapest ticket is a cancellable one! Was the case when we went to NZ a few years ago (ours were cancellable for a small fee, around $50 IIRC, cheaper than insurance!). On long haul there isn't usually the massive difference there is on sort haul (in % terms anyway).

Also look at similar for accomodation if you're prebooking. Again may not be much if any difference.

Most important thing you need insurance for is medical so if you're certain that's covered that's the main thing.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »

Most important thing you need insurance for is medical so if you're certain that's covered that's the main thing.

Just going to add onto this (still should have travel insurance) but Aus and NZ both have reciprocal health agreements with the UK so for friend 1 if something happens and they need to go to the hospital/doctor then take their passport for treatment (still have to pay to see a gp though between $40-150) NZ also as the ACC so you are covered if you have an accident (even if its your own fault) for medical bills. This agreement does not cover reparation or ambulances!
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been without broadband since Thursday:mad:, hence the delay

Thanks for all the comments.

My friends have managed to get the requisite insurance cover, including being non UK resident & mums being in different countries, from Voyager Insurance, through the link in my earlier post.

The cost of this 'once in a lifetime' trip with various components, are mounting steadily but everyone can now sleep at night.
  • Skitennis
    Options
    Hi, 
    New on this forum, so hello. 
    I have a question regarding travel insurance, as a result of speaking to someone at the party. 
    I was told that travel insurance requires insured person to have at least 3 days of prebooked accommodation?
    If true, does it mean that stays with family or friends abroad are not covered?
    What about just booking flights and then travelling round the country purchasing accommodation on ad hoc basis i.e. Not prebooked. 
    Thanks and regards, 
    Skitennis
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport