Replies

• badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skitennis said:
    Hi, 
    New on this forum, so hello. 
    I have a question regarding travel insurance, as a result of speaking to someone at the party. 
    I was told that travel insurance requires insured person to have at least 3 days of prebooked accommodation?
    If true, does it mean that stays with family or friends abroad are not covered?
    What about just booking flights and then travelling round the country purchasing accommodation on ad hoc basis i.e. Not prebooked. 
    Thanks and regards, 
    Skitennis
    Probably would have been better to start your own new thread, but as I started this one, I'll let you off :)

Who told you that? 
    I regularly travel (travelled) long haul to visit my son in Hong Kong and we stay in his apartment. Same with visiting friends in Stockholm. We have never been asked about pre booked accommodation.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skitennis said:

I have a question regarding travel insurance, as a result of speaking to someone at the party. 
    I was told that travel insurance requires insured person to have at least 3 days of prebooked accommodation?
    If true, does it mean that stays with family or friends abroad are not covered?
    Surely there are more interesting things to discuss at parties!

Anyway, while I am sure you could find such an insurance policy if you really looked for it, most travel insurance does not have this kind of requirement.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sazaccount said:
    Just going to add onto this (still should have travel insurance) but Aus and NZ both have reciprocal health agreements with the UK so for friend 1 if something happens and they need to go to the hospital/doctor then take their passport for treatment (still have to pay to see a gp though between $40-150) NZ also as the ACC so you are covered if you have an accident (even if its your own fault) for medical bills. This agreement does not cover reparation or ambulances!
    Is this going to continue into 2021 regardless of whatever Brexit deal is done (or not)?  Apologies for using the B word.

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    martindow said:
    sazaccount said:
    Just going to add onto this (still should have travel insurance) but Aus and NZ both have reciprocal health agreements with the UK so for friend 1 if something happens and they need to go to the hospital/doctor then take their passport for treatment (still have to pay to see a gp though between $40-150) NZ also as the ACC so you are covered if you have an accident (even if its your own fault) for medical bills. This agreement does not cover reparation or ambulances!
    Is this going to continue into 2021 regardless of whatever Brexit deal is done (or not)?  Apologies for using the B word.

Since it is reciprocal agreement with UK  Brexit is irrelevant.