cancelled car insurance

Options
Two days ago I was pulled over on the M4 by the police. They said my car has no insurance associated with it. I showed the officer my certificate and then phone my insurance company who said they had tried to contact me to get a copy of my licence number as I'd recently started a new policy and they wanted confirmation. I hadn't received any notification because they hadn't put my house number on the 2 letters. They said they had emailed me twice but looking on four different devices linked to the same email there was nothing. They also said they'd phoned but I've not had a call or a message left. I don't know how this will end but I am waiting for the complaint dept to call back. I'm now worried as I face a summons and a cancellation history. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • slick1234
    slick1234 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    According to LV a cancellation isn't a problem but a decline is
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    slick1234 wrote: »
    According to LV a cancellation isn't a problem but a decline is

I think you may have that the wrong way around.

If an insurer declines to give you a quote then that is quite normal, but if they have cancelled your policy then that is a very different thing..
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • slick1234
    Options
    I did phone them a second time to confirm and it is right. A d ecline is the more serious of the two. In fact I did take out a policy without issues.
  • slick1234
    Options
    I also explained my issue and still they said it wasn't a problem.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    slick1234 wrote: »
    I also explained my issue and still they said it wasn't a problem.

So if you were 100% honest how much extra did the cancelled policy cost?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2019 at 5:37PM
    Options
    When you bought the policy did you check the address was correct as they can only go on what you input in the form?

The complaint may not be 'upheld' if you didn't input data correctly. Did you check your junk mail folder for your email I presume
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who are your Insurers?

What does it say in the policy wording about how the Insurers will cancel the policy, it normally details how they will write / email etc
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    When you bought the policy did you check the address was correct as they can only go on what you input in the form?

The complaint may not be withheld if you didn't input data correctly. Did you check your junk mail folder for your email I presume

'upheld' perhaps?
  • slick1234
    Options
    I've checked and double checked the paperwork and contacted them and everything is correct. No real difference in price either. That's all I can say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure