Petrol prices

Options
aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Near to where I live there is a retail park where Tesco is charging 123.9 ppl and exactly opposite is a BP station charging 128.9 ppl for Unleaded.

Yet there are silly people filling up at the BP station.

Why don't people use what brain they might have and save 5 ppl?

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Why don't you ask them?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't know why people pay 123.9 when I pay 122.9.

Some people believe supermarket fuel is lower grade.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For years we believed supermarket petrol was lower grade. We had switched quite a few years ago and one car mechanic actually recommended using branded stuff to see if it fixed whatever problem we were having with our car (it didn't).

I recently saw a program about fuel and a representative from an oil company or some such said branded and supermarket fuel has to meet the same levels, whatever they may be.

Myth dispelled - supermarket fuel all the way :)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    Near to where I live there is a retail park where Tesco is charging 123.9 ppl and exactly opposite is a BP station charging 128.9 ppl for Unleaded.

Yet there are silly people filling up at the BP station.

Why don't people use what brain they might have and save 5 ppl?

I use that Tesco but it is less convenient to access than the BP, it's not as competitive as the nearby Asda though.
  • MidlandsGlory
    MidlandsGlory Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I had a fuel card provided for my company car, I would have been the one using the BP to get the nectar points and because I wouldn't have to queue for a pump at busy times... why should I care what the price was? someone else was paying.

These days I get fixed mileage rate reimbursement instead so definitely now over the road at Tesco, I would be out of pocket BP!

There are millions of company car drivers out there with fuel cards so some of these places survive I guess.
  • aardvaak
    Options
    Don't know why people pay 123.9 when I pay 122.9.

Some people believe supermarket fuel is lower grade.

That is rubbish it comes from the same place

Supermarkets wouldn't be allowed to sell lower grade fuel
  • aardvaak
    Options
    When I had a fuel card provided for my company car, I would have been the one using the BP to get the nectar points and because I wouldn't have to queue for a pump at busy times... why should I care what the price was? someone else was paying.

These days I get fixed mileage rate reimbursement instead so definitely now over the road at Tesco, I would be out of pocket BP!

There are millions of company car drivers out there with fuel cards so some of these places survive I guess.

You should care because if you do not care about your company and their costs increase you may not have a job anymore.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    xbrenx wrote: »
    For years we believed supermarket petrol was lower grade. We had switched quite a few years ago and one car mechanic actually recommended using branded stuff to see if it fixed whatever problem we were having with our car (it didn't).

I recently saw a program about fuel and a representative from an oil company or some such said branded and supermarket fuel has to meet the same levels, whatever they may be.

Myth dispelled - supermarket fuel all the way :)

actually supermarket and many small brands have to meet the MINIMUM standards set

premium brand fuel often has additives added , in the form of an additive pack added at the fuel depot before the tanker leaves , those additives are claimed to give smoother running and a cleaner engine

brings us to the next question , unbranded (supermarket / car shop) oils or premium brand engine oil , - both meet the minimum standaeds
  • aardvaak
    Options
    actually supermarket and many small brands have to meet the MINIMUM standards set

premium brand fuel often has additives added , in the form of an additive pack added at the fuel depot before the tanker leaves , those additives are claimed to give smoother running and a cleaner engine

brings us to the next question , unbranded (supermarket / car shop) oils or premium brand engine oil , - both meet the minimum standaeds

Well said, as I also said "Supermarkets wouldn't be allowed to sell lower grade fuel"

It seems that some motorists will never learn they have probably been b*ll sh*tted
  • mollycoddle
    Options
    We as a country must be stark raving mad putting up with the prices for fuel we get charged at service stations , up to at least 27p more exspensive than in any town. We should all boycott motorway service stations to stop them ripping us off :mad:

sorry cant help but rant about this whenever petrol is mentioned :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport