S&S ISA Transfer Advice

Options
Currently have an account with HL

Have invested a few grand in Fundsmith Equity and LTGE

I’m sitting at around 12.5% on my funds.

Head has been turned recently with Vanguard due to lower fees.

Opened the ISA last Nov as well.

Would it be better if I transferred my ISA over to Vanguard and just forgot about it?

I have no clear strategy in mind. One of my PT clients put me onto this and told me he’s made a s%^*load.

I find myself looking at my HL app every day which I know isn’t advised.

Would rather just have a fund geared towards retirement. One that I can just drip feed money into and forget about

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Firstly is there any reason you are not using a Pension or Lifetime ISA (if under 40) to invest for retirement as these are likely to be more efficient? S&S ISAs only have a role in retirement planning if you intend to retire before the age at which you can access a pension or require access to large lump sums in retirement that would be inefficient to draw from a pension as it would put you into a higher tax band.

In terms of whether LTGE & Fundsmith on HL or a direct investment in a Vanguard fund will perform better over the long term nobody knows for sure but my view is that LTGE & Fundsmith are in a sweet spot for current market conditions (similar to other active funds before them that people no longer talk about) and that is unlikely to continue forever.

I would never forget about an investment but there is an art to reviewing and considering it but still not making changes unless there is a very good reason. You would also want to derisk as you get closer to withdrawal.

Alex
  • FitnessInstructorGuy
    Options
    I have a workplace pension (5.5%) and also contribute towards AVC’s.

Should I be leave the S&S ISA and start investing more money into my AVC’s?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Obviously it depends on circumstances but generally contributing more into a pension should be a more efficient way of accumulating wealth for retirement than using S&S ISAs. It can be particularly advantageous if you are paying higher rate tax and/or your employer operates salary sacrifice to also save the national insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure