Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ostefan
    • By ostefan 11th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ostefan
    Sky ends email support?
    • 11th Jul 19, 8:46 PM
    Sky ends email support? 11th Jul 19 at 8:46 PM
    I just joined sky but I use a PC based email app and so asked them for their outbound email server address (they gave it to me); however it sensibly requires verification (to avoid me spamming) - however, they no longer support (as of a few days ago) their verfication methodology - which in their case requires a skyyahoo email, but they no longer allow these to be created. I have called, texted and emailed - but computer says no.

Question: Since I have done this with BT and Plusnet, I am not actually needing technical help but people does this make any sense? I am about to switch back to Plusnet but if I could solve the verification point or find a contact at sky who realises this is silly and offers a fix I would prefer to stay.

Can anyone help convice sky they should support their customers by providing outbound email servers? If nothing else, dont join sky if you still email via non web app services (eg outlook on your PC or laptop). Weird but true.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 13,163 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    This is all very confusing, my ISP allows me to relay through their smarthost (or SMTP server as mail clients call it) based on me being connected via them, as in having an IP address from one of their allocations, which is implicit when using them as my internet connection. I don't need to provide any other "verification methodology".

What hoops are Sky asking you to jump through to relay mail?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • ostefan
    • By ostefan 11th Jul 19, 10:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ostefan
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:31 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:31 PM
    First for you, dont worry as you are good. But my experience with BT and Plusnet was they did provide outbound email servers, but they each take an extra step (verfication) to make sure the outbound email servers are only used by their customers. Sky does the same thing, except mysteriously seem to have removed their verfication methodolgy so effectively rendering their outbound email servers useless to new customers. I was hoping someone could make them understand how silly this was,but now resigned to going with one of the other broadband providers, who I believe all continue to provide support to email senders. Thanks for your concern. Cheers!
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Jul 19, 10:38 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 10:38 PM
    Sky haven't provided new Sky Yahoo email addresses since at least March this year...

So who is your email with at the moment? Is it a domain?
    • ostefan
    • By ostefan 11th Jul 19, 11:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ostefan
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:29 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:29 PM
    Thanks. Fasthosts hosts my domains and provides my inbound email server - to date BT, Plusnet - all provide support me on the outdound side as it has been something broadband providers just do. Curious you know sky stopped this in march - so do you also know they don't intend to replace that, in which case my switch back to BT or Plusnet can be done. I guess perhaps as most folk move to web based email, perhaps this is just a sign of the future. My one sensible chap at sky said it could be because sky wastes so much time on email support, better to act like it is not their problem - maybe lose a few customers like me, but may be worth it. Appreciate your interest!.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 11th Jul 19, 11:56 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    baza52
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:56 PM
    • 11th Jul 19, 11:56 PM
    can you not use an outgoing server via fastnet?

Username: Your pop3 email account username
    Password: Use the email account’s password
    Incoming Server: mail.fast.net.uk
    Port: 995 / SSL
    Outgoing Server: mail.fast.net.uk
    Port: 587 / TLS
    • ostefan
    • By ostefan 12th Jul 19, 12:20 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ostefan
    • 12th Jul 19, 12:20 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 12:20 AM
    Great thought - thank you. I dont think your solution works (me thinks only for fastnet hosted domains?), but it got me thinking I dont need to necessarily use my broadband provider for outbound email server so why not try the company that hosts my email domains - and that worked! Thanks Baza! (I still may change to plusnet out of spite as Sky was really clueless on support.)
    • baza52
    • By baza52 12th Jul 19, 12:29 AM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 2,567 Thanks
    baza52
    • 12th Jul 19, 12:29 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 12:29 AM
    always a simple solution Glad you got it sorted.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 19, 6:58 AM
    • 4,283 Posts
    • 2,457 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 12th Jul 19, 6:58 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 6:58 AM
    I just joined sky but I use a PC based email app and so asked them for their outbound email server address (they gave it to me); however it sensibly requires verification (to avoid me spamming) - however, they no longer support (as of a few days ago) their verfication methodology - which in their case requires a skyyahoo email, but they no longer allow these to be created. I have called, texted and emailed - but computer says no.

Question: Since I have done this with BT and Plusnet, I am not actually needing technical help but people does this make any sense? I am about to switch back to Plusnet but if I could solve the verification point or find a contact at sky who realises this is silly and offers a fix I would prefer to stay.

Can anyone help convice sky they should support their customers by providing outbound email servers? If nothing else, dont join sky if you still email via non web app services (eg outlook on your PC or laptop). Weird but true.
    Originally posted by ostefan
    Absolutely no reason to use it anyway as you can change your email online to one of your choosing. I've still got my Sky/Yahoo email account but the only email in there is the original welcome email. Everything else has always gone to my Gmail account.
    • gwwishy
    • By gwwishy 16th Jul 19, 1:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gwwishy
    Hi. I just moved my broadband from Sky to Vodafone (serious mistake), but am still happily using a sky.com email address with Outlook 2019. No issues I can see.

The outbound and inbound email settings were on their support page, and their tech support teams in the UK are always helpful and knowledgeable.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Jul 19, 2:47 PM
    • 12,777 Posts
    • 5,764 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes but when do you lose the Sky email after leaving .
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Jul 19, 12:28 PM
    • 8,921 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    esuhl
    I had a similar problem when switching to Sky several years ago.

Eventually I discovered that to send mail from your own domain via their SMTP servers, you need to log in to your Sky email address via webmail, then add the email addresses you want to use with your domain.

You can then send messages via Sky and don't ever need to use Sky's email service.

Not sure if they use the same verification method these days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,418Users online

Martin's Twitter