Supporting my daughter as she prepares to go to Uni

Options
Our daughter will be studying an equestrian degree in September. Student finance will obviously pay for her tuition fees and some of the accommodation costs but she needs to finance stabling her horse at Uni plus her living costs. We work but are moderate earners. She has just acquired her horse a dream of hers since she was 5! I want to research if there are any ways she can get additional loans to support her rather than entirely relying on the bank of mum and dad as this will be a struggle. Any thoughts or suggestions please.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Part time work to fit around her course and during the holidays? She has all summer to find a temporary job and build up some reserves.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Part time work to fit around her course and during the holidays? She has all summer to find a temporary job and build up some reserves.

This a million percent. It is only May now and I assume she won't be going until Sept? That is three months of full time work I would be expecting her to do if that were my daughter.

Also when she gets there, I would be expecting her to get a part time job in the local town, she may even get a job in the local students union bar etc - something like that would be ideal
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Also to add, has she looked into any bursaries or scholarships?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/finance-and-support/additional-funding

And she could look on turn2us to check eligibility for any relevant grants.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From some of the wording of your post, I am guessing that your DD does not qualify for the full amount of maintenance loan?

There is an 'expectation' but not 'obligation' that parents will cover the shortfall between the amount of loan that the student qualifies for and the maximum loan amount; where no parental contribution is expected.

Funding the difference between the 2 amounts, plus stabling a horse is going to be a tough one for her. Unless she has been working a part-time job since she was 16 and put her wages away or there's been money saved for her by a relative for this time to provide a 'nest-egg'. I suspect any money like this has been spent on the purchase of the horse?

I suggest going through all finances, both yours and hers. That will tell you what you can help her out with financially and what she needs to do workwise to cover as much as she can.

If the figures don't match up, then deferring for a year in which she can work f-time and save may be something that has to be looked at.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has she approached stables to ask if she can keep her horse there at a reduced price in exchange for her services mucking out etc.?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just posted on a Student loan forum but this might be more appropriate b
    I am a Grandmother with limited means. That said I want to help my Grandchildren as much as possible.
    My Granddaughter is going to have a year at an American university. I am going to give her £5000; to help finance that year.
    My dilemma at the moment is how much money I should give my.Grandson
    He has got a BSc in Physics He is starting Post Grad Masters in Computer Sciences in September. I am going to fund his accommodation but am wondering what would be a reasonable amount for living expenses food bills bus fares and a bit of pocket money?
    His Parents I think will fund his train fares home etc
    I know he should be out working casually at the moment but other than a few weeks here and there he is reluctant to do much about earning money etc He likes to be able to go visit his girlfriend who is still at University
    Neither of my Grandchildren had Saturday jobs while at school or jobs during the summer break from University
    Sorry to highjack your forum but wondered about how much it would be reasonable amount Thanks Sue
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Susan1942 wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack your forum but wondered about how much it would be reasonable amount Thanks Sue

If you're giving your granddaughter £5000 then the reasonable thing to do is give your grandson the same. Whether that is provided up front (with the possibility that much of it will be frittered away) or in tranches when he has things that he needs to spend money on is something you and the parents should discuss.

Personally I'm not sure I'd have given either of them anything if they have never been bothered to earn a penny themselves.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Options
    Your grandson has a degree, if he wants to do a masters then I would expect you to pay nothing towards that.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can find the cast of his bus fares to and from college. he can probably get a weekly/monthly pass.le

How much do you think is reasonable for a single person to spend on food? Are you single? What do you spend on a weeks shopping? Maybe add a little to account for a youngsters appetite.
    If you don't have an idea of the cost make up a week's possible shopping list and price it on Supermarket .com.
    Will he have access to a subsidised canteen at uni?

How much pocket money is up to you but personally , if he would rather visit his girlfriend than work I wouldn't be subsidising his visits. If he wants extras he should work for them.

He won't be able to choose whether he works or visits a girlfriend when he is employed.
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding but I locked myself out of my account and had to reset my password etc.
    I appreciate what you are saying in that my Grandchildren have not worked whilst they were studying. My Granddaughter did go to the US last summer to do Camp America.
    I am giving my Granddaughter the money to help her Parents as it is much more expensive for accommodation at US Universities plus the added expense of flights etc. I am happy to give her £5000 which will be mostly used for that accommodation.
    My Grandson fell out of love with Physics after about the first 18 months of his degree. He is a very clever boy but his heart was just not in Physics. . He has spent the past 9 months considering his future.
    He has been offered a place at Newcastle and Birmingham Universities for a Masters in Computer Sciences. Birmingham was his first choice. He is a quiet boy who lacks confidence so I want to help him as much as possible. He will talk to me but not his Parents. My Daughter tends to be very confrontational which is why he won't talk to them. I don't get involved in discussing his situation with her. It is pointless as it is always very negative.
    He will get a loan which will cover his course fee but it leaves nothing or almost nothing for living expenses. I am not sure but I think his accommodation will be around £500 a month. I am wondering if around £75 a week or £300 a month would cover his general day to day living. So I would be happy to give him £800 a month. I just want him to get a qualification which will open up a better opportunity for a career in which he will be happy.
    Thanks again for your views and advice. Sue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport