Shells proposed purchase of BG

Options
Received the documentation this morning which details the proposed offer of £3.83 paid in cash for each BG share you hold and 0.4454 Shell B Shares.
There is an option to exchange the cash consideration for Shell B Shares,not sure what the best option is because I don't really need the cash at the moment and what's the future for She'll
Any comments or views would be welcome

Regards

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    At the point of take-over one can assume there is no great financial advantage in taking the shares or the cash. So it's simply a matter of whether you want Shell shares given the demise of BG. Presumably you bought BG for a reason. Is the reason still valid? Does Shell meet the requirement?

If you do want Shell shares, you are getting them without any charges. Seems good to me. If you dont want Shell shares then take the cash and buy the shares you do want.
  • jeff_chandler
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and wondering whether it be better to sell my 156 shares at the current price of £9.60 rather than wait and only get £3.83.

I have never been into finances but I inherited these shares when my parents passed away. The share certificate has been stuck in a drawer until this package came through the letter box.

Do I sell the shares and enjoy £1500 or do I leave them and allow the take over and only get £3.83 ?????
    I'm absolutely baffled.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and wondering whether it be better to sell my 156 shares at the current price of £9.60 rather than wait and only get £3.83.

I have never been into finances but I inherited these shares when my parents passed away. The share certificate has been stuck in a drawer until this package came through the letter box.

Do I sell the shares and enjoy £1500 or do I leave them and allow the take over and only get £3.83 ?????
    I'm absolutely baffled.

You get £3.83 + 0.4454 Shell shares currently worth £15.47 each giving a total value of £10.72/BG share at current prices. If you dont want the shares you will get the equivalent in cash based on the Shell share value at the time. One would expect the share values of BG and Shell to be close to the values corresponding to the offer by the time the offer goes ahead.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I expect the question now is regarding the possibility of the Shell shares picking up again in the future given their downturn over the last couple of years
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/6555/shell-bg-deal-no-longer-makes-economic-or-industrial-sense/

I am surprised that the media arent pitching this as yet another "windfall" or "bonanza" as they did with the VOD Verizon deal.

I started off feeling mildly enthusiastic about this BG /RDSB deal but now im not so sure.

As of today

BG 985p
    RDSB 1544p

So each BG share is worth 383p + (0.4484 x 1544)=1075p

Difference =90p

The Saudis have stated that they are going to keep pumping oil. After all,what else can they do? their modern country depends on oil income for much of its wealth and yet the current oil price of around $34 per barrel is a huge drop on the high of $102 only a few years ago and is closer to the low of 2002 when it was under $30 per barrel.

Saudi has the second largest reserves in the world after Venezuela. Over 90% of its export revenues are oil derived along with over 75% of its budget revenues.

Put simply, if it doesnt sell oil, it doesnt have anything else. They have recently launched a new budget to cut expenditure and raise taxes as they are clearly not deriving as much oil income.

RDSB needs BG to take out a competitor, to have access to its oil and gas reserves and production and to make savings through positive synergies as they say !

More and more i think its a lame deal ofr BG shareholders and they should vote no.

RDSB needs BG more than BG needs RDSB.

There is nothing in this deal for BG shareholders.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    More and more i think its a lame deal ofr BG shareholders and they should vote no.
    My view (as a Shell shares holder) is the opposite. This deal was arranged when oil prices were much higher, and as you say the outlook for the foreseeable future is a continuing low oil price.

Therefore the price being offered to BG for their shares now looks far too high. I would like to see it renegotiated at a lower price.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    It could have been a good deal for Shell for the reasons stated. But Shell pounced too early and offered too much. 50% premium looked high at the time, today it looks ludicrous. Shell shareholders should vote it down, but they probably won't because many are funds who also hold BG shares, so they won't mind Shell overpaying.
    The possisility the deal will not go ahead is reflected in the share prices. If Shell shareholders accept the deal I expect Shell shares to fall and BG to rise. Conversely if Shell shareholders vote it down, I expect Shell shares to rise and BG to fall.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    by the time the offer goes ahead.
    Is it a foregone conclusion?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    My view (as a Shell shares holder) is the opposite. This deal was arranged when oil prices were much higher, and as you say the outlook for the foreseeable future is a continuing low oil price.

Therefore the price being offered to BG for their shares now looks far too high. I would like to see it renegotiated at a lower price.
    Interestingly I'm aware of a number of private RDSB investors who have taken the arbitrage opportunity and sold RSDB and bought BG due to the cash discrepancy (who will then become RDSB holders again but having benefited from the transaction)
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Interestingly I'm aware of a number of private RDSB investors who have taken the arbitrage opportunity and sold RSDB and bought BG due to the cash discrepancy (who will then become RDSB holders again but having benefited from the transaction)

Yes but the cash discrepancy is there for a reason, the deal still depends on Shell shareholders voting for it.
    If the deal doesn't go through they will wish they had kept their RDSB shares and not bought BG.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure