Netflix hikes UK prices by up to £24/yr - MSE News

Options
Streaming giant Netflix has raised its subscription prices by up to £24/year....
Read the full story:
'Netflix hikes UK prices by up to £24/yr'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thats a bit of cheek when they are going to lose all the disney content later this year.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    12.5% and 20% are well above inflation. And presumably all programmes produced by BBC and ITV currently on Netflix will be pulled once BritBox launches.

I have the middle option, but I've tried the basic one and the quality isn't that great.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,285 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    "Netflix's basic package, which costs £5.99/month and lets you watch on one screen at a time without an HD option, will remain the same price"

I'm on this which suits me just fine
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All of this was totally foreseeable once Netflix became established. However, it's interesting that they are choosing to raise prices just as lots more competition enters the streaming market...
  • steviebuk
    steviebuk Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What's more annoying is there is much more choice on Netflix American. You just have to get a VPN service however to get it. And even then its pot luck on which VPN server they block.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Strange that I read this here before Netflix deign to inform me themselves that the prices are going up.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only option not increased is the £5.99 one set option. If you live alone that will be the best option as you can view on one appliance but use many devices as I do by using the PC, TV, bedroom PC or ipad or kindle. I am logged into all but it only lets me watch the content on one device.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We only ever use one device for downloading, which is my iPad and which comes with us on holiday, and outside of that we only ever watch it together on the TV, so I've downgraded back to the basic plan (I had the middle plan for HD but to be honest the difference over SD is not huge in my experience). £7.99 was fine but if it's going up to basically £10 the £6 option is very attractive.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still think the prices are fair considering the content they have available and the exclusive content they produce.

I have the top package because i have a decent 4K TV so it makes a big difference having the Ultra HD option.

Also even at £11.99 that's less than £3 per person if 4 people are streaming at once. I share my account with my family across 3 different households; i don't ask them to pay anything towards it but that could be an option if people on here wanted to save money.
  • Brexit_Fan
    Brexit_Fan Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With just a little bit of messing around, you can get legally get Netflix for £2.30 a month. Just make sure you use a card that doesn't charge for foreign usage.

Cheap as chips
    For Democracy to work, the losers have to accept defeat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure