PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone. :hello: Good luck to you all for August.

At £40 per week and with a 5 week month, my August Grocery Challenge budget is £200. I did really, really well last month, coming in by more than £50 under budget. Sadly, this month hasn't started so well, but it is only a minor blip.

I spent £43 on my shopping at the weekend, that's £3 over. However, on the brighter side, of my £10 weekly pocket money, I only spent £6.50, so technically I'm 50p up. Because I used my £50 slush money to pay for new walking shoes and a football match ticket, I was hoping to be able to do something similar at the end of this month. This means Spendy must try harder.

There's a new programme on BBC2 starting next week about feeding your family during the credit crunch. I think that's going to be regular viewing for me.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone

Thank you Mrs M, Rosieben & Pink for all your hard work

I started off in July with very good intentions but seemed to give up about 2 thirds of the way through so for August I am determined to keep on track - DH has been warned

We will be visiting Costco for some bits and also going to a local Butchers to get 30lbs of different meats for £29.99 - Dh thinks that this is the bargain of the century and as he does the cooking it will keep him happy for a while [I hope]

Good luck

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2009 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Thank you Mrs M, Rosieben & Pink for all your hard work

Seconded :D

Can I declare £166.14 for July, please?

And be put down for £120 for August's budget, please?

Thank you!

One of these days I will come in on budget... yeah right! :rotfl:

Forgot to say, that budget is for 2 adults, 1 toddler and a baby including groceries (organic animal produce whenever possible), toiletries and household cleaning stuff :)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi can I join this month please?
    Could you put me down for £400
    Thats for 6 of us and a dog. To include all supermarket shopping.
    Thanks
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2009 at 12:21PM
    Options
    ... There's a new programme on BBC2 starting next week about feeding your family during the credit crunch. I think that's going to be regular viewing for me.

I was just looking at this too, Economy Gastronomy, Weds 8pm on BBC2 looks interesting ;)

I'll start a new thread for this, in case people miss it - ooops there was a thread already started :o
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HI
    Can you please put me down for $100for August. Thanks.
    At this stage it appears that I will come in under budget for July
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone forgot to post my monthly budget for August, please could you put me down for £175 again, thanks Mrs M.

Okay well this month i'm not going to reduce my amount as i really need to stock back up certain things like toilet roll, pasta ec.

Here are two recipes for you:-

Beef stroganoff
    400g of beef cut in thins strips
    1 onion sliced finely
    2tbsp butter
    2tbsp oil
    1tbsp plain flour
    1tsp tomato puree
    2tsp mustard
    2 tbsp of lemon juice
    250ml of single cream (can use double if you wish)

Fry beef in 1tbsp of butter and oil till browned
    Taken beef out of the pan but leave all the juices the pan.
    Fry the onion in the other tbsp of butter and beef juiced till soft.
    Sprinkle 1 tbsp of plain flour over the onions and stir to mix.
    Add the tomato puree, lemon juice, mustard and cream stir all together.
    Take the beef and add it to the cream mixture.
    Once the cream starts bubbling serve immediately.

the recipe above can be adapted using just veg or any any meat or poultry. Not sure about fish as i haven't tried it.

Chapattis.
    Mix 3 cups of plain flour with enough water to bind.
    Leave covered for an hour.
    Split the mixture into balls and roll out till about 2cms thick
    Place onto a dry frying pan or tava, flip it over till it starts to brown and serve.
    Once cooked they can be frozen as well.

I also used the above for making wraps.

The stroganoff was supposed to last two meals but the boys loved it that much they went back for second lol Poor OH never got a look in. I served it with pots and veg.

Well off to make some lunch for the kids and carry on attempting to make a big cushion for the bench. My OH decided he could make out of DS1's old bed, so i'm using old duvets and old duvet covers to make the big cushions for it. First time i've ever made them so it's keeping me out of trouble and the shops :T.
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Everyone

doing well so far although only day 4 I know! had 3 NSD on trot I know it has been said many times before but I have found since OH has got his allotment and greenhouse earlier in the year we have saved a fortune of veg also I find if we have a glut of something at moment spinach and courgettes soon to be tomatoes got some lovely beefsteaks nearly ripe I try to create recipes around that and dont seem to be going shopping nearly so often.

Thanks to everyone who contributes and runs the thread and good luck everyone for August
    Frugal challenge 2024

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    I was just looking at this too, Economy Gastronomy, Weds 8pm on BBC2 looks interesting ;)

I'll start a new thread for this, in case people miss it - ooops there was a thread already started :o

it starts on the 5th of august i was looking at it it looks interesting :) ..

well im half way through my second week and i am really proud of myself .. i have spent £124 but theres not another thing i need expect milk bread and maybe abit of fruit but im not getting til i completely run out as i use to top up without finishing ... i planned a whole month worth of meals and im sticking to it ... im back on top form and im loving it :D hope everyone else is doing well x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    I'll go for £50 for August please!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income