PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lainz
    lainz Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Rubbish - lost my last post!

Anyway edited highlights were - July declare at £70

and can I be put down for £93 for Aug!

Thanks
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woo! I love a new thread!

Not long back from Costco/Sainsbury's and have bagged meat and put yummy things away. Shall post shortly with the amounts as I bought things for me and a friend in Costco and have to work out how much hers is, add VAT and do all sorts of sums :rotfl:
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oooh, shiny new thread! Not been posting too much as its been a busy month with partner working so barely had time to catch breath! We had an "ok" month, but as expected we spent a little more on top-ups as we had lunch box for partner, plus extra breakfast things (bread, milk, cereal) to get in. £190.93 for the month brings my annual declaration up to £1201.93.

We've found out that partners mum is coming over (from Cyprus) for a few weeks and will be staying with us for at least one of those weeks, so we'll need to get a few extra bits in. We were planning on not doing a large shop in August as we are working to a six week period and using up the freezer and cupboard, but will need a few things. I'm going to make some soup over next weekend for lunch next week for partner as his job finishes on Saturday and he's never really that hungry when he is at home. Hope everyone has a good month!
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2009 at 10:02AM
    Options
    After my very bad overspend last week - £143 out of my £80 budget :eek: - I am giving myself a budget for August of £17 to even it out over the 2 months. I have loads in the cupboard and freezer and so will be shopping for fresh f+v and milk only. I should do it if I use some of the frozen and tinned veg and fruit I have in stock. ;)

Good luck everyone!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh lovely new thread :j
    Right so after last months disaster I had better pay attention so my £100 budget (that you have already added thanx) is for 4 weeks from next Tuesday (not sure of date) but I WILL stick to it this time as I am really well stocked.............famous last words
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, my budget for August is £250 on the basis of visiting Costco and stocking up on meat for the month (And beyond!) Before my trip today I was sitting at: £25.54/£250

Today I bought:

Costco

Loo Roll (Quilted Velvet) which was £13.79 inc VAT for 5 packs of 9 rolls. My friend took two of the packs, so total cost to me was £8.27 and my flatmate never buys things for the house for he gave me a fiver for this and therefore cost of this was £3.27. Sheesh!

Catsan cat litter (2 massive bags) £15.62 inc VAT

Go Cat (Massive bag) cat biscuits £7.23 inc VAT

Brioche (Mr Fresian loves brioche!) £1.79

Chewing gum (30 packs!!) £6.89 inc VAT split between me and my friend £3.44 for me

Mince (2.1kg) £11.75. Now bagged in the freezer in five portions. I can normally make enough bolognaise/chilli for 6-8 portions out of one of these.

Chicken (2.2kg of breast) £14.67 Now bagged into five bags of two breasts and one with three. Lots of chicken based meals to come!

Total spend £57.77

Sainsbury's

Sesame loaf 60p (Reduced from £1.19)
    Kidney Beans x 4 @ 19p = £0.76
    Quiche Lorraine £0.69 (Reduced from £1)
    Chopped tomatoes x 4 @ £0.35 = £1.40
    Tin Foil = £4.24 (40m)
    Freezer bags £1.58
    Freezer bags £0 (3 for 2 with tinfoil)
    Milk £2.25
    Kitchen towel £2

Total spend £13.52

I have spent £71.29 today which brings my total so far to £96.83 for August's budget.

*phew*

That was a lot more maths than I was expecting :rotfl:
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm in for £300 again this month and my month runs from thisThursday 30th to Friday 28th August. Thanks.

Moniker
  • happymumof3
    happymumof3 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the Grocery Challenge - though have been meaning to do this for a while.

I have managed by 'being careful' to reduce my main weekly shop from £120 to £80 per week over the last 3 months or so, but I have no idea what extras we spend by visiting the local co-op for emergency bread, milk and all the other extras, and ideally I would be really happy to reduce this even more if possible.

Could I please be put down for £320 for this month to see how I go!

Thanks

Sorry just wanted to add that we are a family of 5 made up of 2 adults, and 3 boys aged 9, 4 and 2, and a baby girl due on 8th September :D
    2013 Wins: The No-Nonsense Guide to Climate Change Book, CBeebies Satchel, Liora Swarovski Elements Necklace, The Snow Womble Book, Crystal Earrings, £100 Cash, Ferrero Rocher Chocs, Yuko London Hair Products
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    I am in for 150 this month (very scary) and I have spent most of it already!!!
    Got my MrTs online order tonight so hopefully I have most of the food in that we will need for the month.
    Soooo I spent 105.09 that means I have 44.91 left to spend on fruit and anything else we run out of
    Wow I am a bit scared but also feel pretty good and keep thinking how great it will be when i can say I did it,
    Thanks all
    lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks to all who keep us shipshape.
    Will be better for August.

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure