PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2017 at 6:56PM
    Options
    34228676792_a1e4bb2cfc_m.jpgred Nile by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Just finished this, a big book in every sense of the word - it's a really interesting read, split into lots of manageable chunks; I learned lots.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 May 2017 at 3:00AM
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    28815474.jpg

not sure which one i will read next.
    This one please! And let us know how you find it?

Eta: have P'inned The Red Nile and reserved a library copy - there's no time like the present!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 23:

9781780748177_12.jpg

8/10: quick, insightful and entertaining.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Eta: have P'inned The Red Nile and reserved a library copy - there's no time like the present!

Went for "I Found You" by Lisa Jewell

will do couple next door after.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May 2017 at 2:11AM
    Options
    Hope you enjoy Red Nile, Vfmeplse.
    It's structured in such a way that you can read a bit, then move on to something else, then get back into it. Otherwise there could be information overload.

33575475584_e60118cc25_m.jpgHame by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    What makes a true home? A literary detective story uncovering the past of a reclusive poet, and the tale of a mother and daughter making a new life on a remote Scottish island.

My daughter chose this book, started today, for me for my birthday. She usually picks well. The author, London born, learned 'braid Scots' to use in the book.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    greentiger wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy Red Nile, Vfmeplse.
    It's structured in such a way that you can read a bit, then move on to something else, then get back into it. Otherwise there could be information overload.
    That's part of my problem - reading, leaving and not returning to it :o. I've done much better this year by just powering through.

I've just had notification from the library that it's arrived :)

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having been away for three weeks, I have a long list to report.

Steel Kiss - Jeffrey Deaver, amazing page turner

Daughters of the Dragon - William Andrews - story of the Korean 'comfort women' enslaved by the Japanese in WW2. Excellent

Bodies of Light - Sarah Moss - the story of the Moberley family of artists in the C19th . Surprisingly good.

Sweet Caress. - William Boyd - 'biography' of Amory Clay, an adventurous, leading woman photographer. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but it was very interesting.

Me Speak Pretty One Day - David Sedaris- laugh out loud, giggle and hear his voice in your head.

Although I was stocked with my homeward reads for the long flight, I found that I could hear a film with the good earphones supplied by Emirates, so I caught up with good films I'd missed ( Manchester by the Sea, Fences, The Girl on the Train)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Bodies of Light - Sarah Moss - the story of the Moberley family of artists in the C19th . Surprisingly good.

Me Speak Pretty One Day - David Sedaris- laugh out loud, giggle and hear his voice in your head.

I have really enjoyed everything written by Sarah Moss - I can highly recommend 'Signs for Lost Children' which is a sequel to 'Bodies of Light'. I liked 'Cold Earth' too, it's a different kind of novel to 'Signs for Lost Children' but it's equally as atmospheric.

I also loved the book by David Sedaris. The chapter where he talks about learning French genuinely had me laughing out loud. I must look out for some more of his books.

I've just finished 'The Followers' by Rebecca Wait, which is a novel about a cult. I thought it was quite good, and worth a read if you like stories about strange religions ... I'm reading a few books at the moment, one of which is 'After Me Comes the Flood', by Sarah Perry. It's ... odd, one of those novels where you find that you've read quite a lot of it and you realise that not much has happened. However it is a quick read so I'll stick to the end and see how it goes. I did buy 'The Essex Serpent' when it was 99p at the Kindle Store as there's been so much hype about it, but I'm not sure if 'After Me ...' is putting me off giving it a whirl.
  • Syman
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

just finished "I found You" very good read can recommend it.

As promised, next book is "The Couple Next Door"

• Syman
    Options
    Just finished "The Couple Next Door"
    One of the best books read this year.
    The plot is well written and paced perfectly. the twists and turns are entirly plausible and the ultimate end very satisfying.

check out the chazzers Vfm4mepls, you will enjoy this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills