PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been reading rubbish for the last few months but got 'The Draughtsman' from the library by Robert Lautner.

Quite a difficult subject (chap works for a company making the ovens for the concentration camps) but well written and very thought provoking.
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Been quiet here but have been taking note of recommendations!
    Books I have finished in the last few weeks are:
    The Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
    The Husband's Secret -Liane Moriarty
    Both excellent reads!

Currently reading The Revolving Door of Life by Alexander McCall Smith
    I am a fan of all his writing so pick up the new books in the series when they are published.
    Happy reading everyone x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi

Been reading post daily but not posting as I want to try and get back to reading. I've been off kilter with my reading for a couple of years. I'very last my mono and I'm tryin to get kit back.

I've signed myself for Goodreads reading challenge and have set myself the target of 40 books this year (reduced down from 50 as I thought I was being a bit ambitious!).

I've just read Ali McNamara's Letters from Lighthouse Cottage - a light romantic story where an old typewriter leaves messages for its owner as to the path she should take. First time I've read one of hers and will give her others ago.

Little Shop of happy ever after by Jenny Colgan was another I've just read which was thoroughly enjoyable. All about books! Main character is made redundant from her local library when it becomes a media centre (sounds familiar) and she moves to Scotland to sell secondhand books from her van. Again, a light romantic read and recommended.

I'm currently reading The boy made out of bricks. I understand it may have been a Richard and Judy book club recommendation. It's about the relationship between a father and his and autistic son. Only a few pages in but it's an easy read. I'm hoping to use my bank holiday day reading it.

The other book I'very got on the go is The library at the edge of the world by Felicity Hayes-McCoy. Again it's about books and what happens to the main character who takes on a job driving a mobile library.

Good to see other reading material from other posters. Some good choices that I'very got on my kindle. Keep me coming!

Enjoy your Easter Monday. May you all get to turn some pages!
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    51msu2sE7aL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8/10. I'm a big fan of this author

Read this book on a trip to India a few years ago and although a good read the only thing that really stayed with me was the total and utter unrelenting misery of it. Not sure if I'd want to read another one of his books for that reason.

Have you read "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth? a very good read.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The library van visited today so I got a few new books to read.

I am sat in the armchair, wrapped in a blanket, with a hot water bottle and a big mug of tea. Fighting off a bad cold so going to spend the evening reading Suffocation by James Walkman - a book I have wanted to read for ages. Hope it is a good read.
    Sounds like just the book to read when you've got a bunged-up nose! :D
    Let us know how you get on with it - and I hope you get well soon.
    I've been reading "The Corpse Bridge" by Stephen Booth. Booorring..
    I gave up 100 pages to the end which is unusual for me, but I reckon life's too short ......

Thanks for the wishes - still not feeling great :(

Suffocation ( the book not my nose) was OK.

It had an American feel to it, although lots of UK examples are given. It was a bit too psycho-babble for me, but if you are into Minimalism then it is worth a read and it is easy to read too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jintyb wrote: »
    Been quiet here but have been taking note of recommendations!
    Books I have finished in the last few weeks are:
    The Underground Railroad - Colson Whitehead
    The Husband's Secret -Liane Moriarty
    Both excellent reads!

Currently reading The Revolving Door of Life by Alexander McCall Smith
    I am a fan of all his writing so pick up the new books in the series when they are published.
    Happy reading everyone x

How was the Underground Railroad? It is one I have been thinking of reading myself.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Read this book on a trip to India a few years ago and although a good read the only thing that really stayed with me was the total and utter unrelenting misery of it. Not sure if I'd want to read another one of his books for that reason.
    "A Fine Balance" is my all time favourite read. But it is wonderful and horrible in equal measures :o
    Have you read "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth? a very good read.
    Yes, many years ago. I gave my copy away and incidentally picked up another copy in a chazzer this afternoon...for the princely sum of 34p. Now that's what I call good value :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Options
    Hi

Can I join? I love reading, but aiming to spend less money (the reason I was on here in the first place) so any suggestions for cheap or free books? I have an iphone with the kindle app, and I am am amazon prime customer, but as far as I know I can't "borrow" books on amazon unless I have a kindle, not the app? Am I right?
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recent reads :

Revival Stephen King 8/10

This follows five decades in the life of a rhythm guitarist as his path crosses time and again with the Reverend, a man obsessed with mastering 'secret electricity' - the energy that powers the universe.

Indelible ink Fiona McGregor 8/10

The story of an older lady, late 50s, and her family of adult children, as she rebels against expectations following her divorce.

Blood Harvest S.J. Bolton 8/10

Family moves next door to a church in a remote village with strange customs.

The Sudden Appearance of Hope Claire North 6/10

It took me a while to get my head round the logistics of this book, which is that Hope, whose story it is, became at age 16 instantly forgettable by everyone she meets, making normal life, education, job, family, relationships etc, totally impossible.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Can I join? I love reading, but aiming to spend less money (the reason I was on here in the first place) so any suggestions for cheap or free books? I have an iphone with the kindle app, and I am am amazon prime customer, but as far as I know I can't "borrow" books on amazon unless I have a kindle, not the app? Am I right?

Hi and welcome. :)

Someone who knows better than me will answer your query (I don't have an iphone, sorry)

I use the library a lot.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure