Credit Card Debt from the UAE

Options
13»

Comments

• JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh I agree, you should pay your debts no matter where they are in the world as long as they are fairly accounted for and due process is followed.

I'm just wondering on the technicalities?

Maybe a UK company bought the debt I'm guessing as a UAE company can't directly enforce a debt here, can it?
    Thanks
    JG
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    Easily, foreign debts are enforceable in the uk.

Given that the 'UK' has 3 distinct jurisdictions, such a blanket statement is unreliable.

As per my previous comment in this thread, I would have question the competence of non-UAE court to accept jurisdiction.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    SPalin wrote: »
    Given that the 'UK' has 3 distinct jurisdictions, such a blanket statement is unreliable.

Not really if it's true.
    SPalin wrote: »
    As per my previous comment in this thread, I would have question the competence of non-UAE court to accept jurisdiction.

Depends what you mean by "accept jurisdiction".

There are two separate parts. One is who has the jurisdiction to decide the case. The other is who is able to enforce a judgment. Generally a UK court would not get involved in deciding a civil matter in the UAE. (Though the parties are still free to agree that a English courts can have jurisdiction.) Enforcement of a judgment is a different matter.

The willingness of a court to enforce another jurisdiction's judgment comes down to the countried concerned and whether the situation is covered by a treaty. Some useful information here: https://www.out-law.com/topics/dispute-resolution-and-litigation/enforcement/enforcing-foreign-judgments-in-england-and-wales/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not really if it's true.

Depends what you mean by "accept jurisdiction".

There are two separate parts. One is who has the jurisdiction to decide the case. The other is who is able to enforce a judgment. Generally a UK court would not get involved in deciding a civil matter in the UAE. (Though the parties are still free to agree that a English courts can have jurisdiction.) Enforcement of a judgment is a different matter.

The willingness of a court to enforce another jurisdiction's judgment comes down to the countried concerned and whether the situation is covered by a treaty. Some useful information here: https://www.out-law.com/topics/dispute-resolution-and-litigation/enforcement/enforcing-foreign-judgments-in-england-and-wales/

There is only a 1 'UK Court' and it is the UK Supreme Court.

The remainder are English/Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish - i.e. 3 jurisdictions.

The local court can dismiss both proceedings and enforcement, if it views the case as incompetent for want of jurisdiction.
  • There is no legal way to enforce payment in the UK for a debt from the UAE.

1. The debt collectors (some masquerading as solicitors) may buy or take the debt on a percentage of settlement basis with the bank. But they cannot enforce a credit agreement from the UAE in the UK. The courts will not accept it and their website claims that they are having judgments at the rate of 25 to 30 a month are bogus.
    2. Have nothing to do with the collections agents. Do not respond do not call, do not write and most especially do not agree to any form of discussion with regards to a repayment arrangement.
    3. If you are truly stressed by the harassment, you can write a cease and desist letter. Do Not sign it.
    4. There is a good cease and desist template available free of charge on the "the Balance" website. The balance.com

4. You will not be troubled afterwards.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sorry but this is not correct and the poster's story demonstrates that. UAE courts have no jurisdiction in the UK themselves but it is perfectly possible for a creditor in one country to ask for their judgement to be enforced in another. The OP is not too clear about what happened but they do not appear to have disputed the debt, but simply tried to use the Limitation Act to get out of it.

Even if this were a UK debt it does not automatically follow that once the transaction is six years old it is unenforceable in court. The six year clock can be reset for any number of reasons.

I am sorry the poster feels that they have been treated unfairly but I do not see that they have too much of a case - they ran up a debt, deliberately skipped (for the very best of reasons as you can be prevented from leaving the UAE if you have unpaid bills and I may have done exactly the same) and then claim that it is effectively a violation of their rights or the sovereignty of the courts to have the debt enforced. The poster has also not responded to questions about advice they received and action they took, and I think it is probably best for the rest of us not to rush to judgment or make sweeping statements about what people should or should not do without being fully in the picture or competent to comment on a quite unusual situation.
  • Rewca
    Rewca Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, What was the outcome with CWD, I am in a similar situation and have been made bankrupt 18 July 2018, I have met with the official receiver and I did not realise how simple a process it is to have someone made bankrupt,

Michael
  • Timberflake1983
    Options
    The original debt in 2008 was just over £5000, they are now trying to say that I owe over £60,000.

*trying* haha. That's what happens when you don't pay your debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure