Help, been sold a stolen car

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    i bought a car in November 2017 and it has been found that the car has been stolen. false number plates put on with matching VIN numbers on the windscreen and inside the drivers door panel. we found out because we were having a problem trying to obtain a V5 for the car (after not receiving it from the change over from the buyer).
    we are now without a car and £15000 out of pocket. can anybody give any advice of the best way forward to try and get our money back or even the car. the insurance company that insured the car at the time of it being stolen have already paid out for the car and will take possession of the vehicle. i have been intouch with them and i am waiting a reply to see if we can get the car back at all.
    we paid cash after receiving a good enough 'excuse' why he couldn't receive money through a bank transfer, so not covered on any debit or credit card insurance
    we bought the car from an advert on Auto Trader and did the additional checks, but of course we were doing the checks on a false number plate hence why it came back all clear and no suspicions were raised when we bought the car.
    any advice would be much appreciated

Is that correct or has an extra 0 been added, hope its just an extra 0 but I fear its not the case. You might be very lucky to get either the money or the car back but cant see either happening myself as the money is now gone and the car is the property of the insurers.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are correct about the HPI guarantee but even if the OP did HPI the vehicle, they failed to qualify for this guarantee.

Buying without a V5c isn't sensible. If the OP had read the guarantee they may well have been put off.

However I would suggest my original point stands. It would make sense to HPI a vehicle and with any contract one should check the t&c's and abide by them.
  • marie3196658
    marie3196658 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    We did the checks. But because the car had false number plates it all came back fine
  • marie3196658
    Options
    We went to 'an address ' but dont know if it was his address although it did match the log book.
  • marie3196658
    Options
    It has taken so long because they didn't realise that there were two cars driving around with the same number plate until the legit car was sold and a v5 was being obtained. Then DVLA contacted me to say that i was no longer the registered keeper of the car and it went from there. I then realised that the vin numbers on the windscreen and Inside drivers door panel had been changed to match the false number plates
  • marie3196658
    Options
    Yes it's correct that you do get insurance with the checks. However I was checking false number plates and so all the checks were coming up fine. So really the check company had not done anything wrong because the information they supplied me with was correct for them plates
  • marie3196658
    Options
    The amount is exactly right. We paid 15 thousand for it
  • marie3196658
    Options
    The car did have a v5c but the seller didnt send off the paperwork for me to get a log book for the car. I had the little green slip which I later used to apply for a manual log book and had one sent to me it was only when the correct car got sold that the issue was raised. I did also do the hpi checks and nothing came up because I repeat again the number plates were false
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We went to 'an address ' but dont know if it was his address although it did match the log book.

Well at least you have a starting point!

Obviously you will need to let the police know this address, but I would start googling the person and seeing if you can track down whoever sold it to you and if they are still at that address.

Your next step would be a court claim against them.

How long did they own the car for?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For that amount of loss I'd employ a private investigator
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts