Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smitaly69
    • By smitaly69 7th Feb 19, 4:37 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    smitaly69
    Oil Central heating, open plan barn conversion
    • 7th Feb 19, 4:37 PM
    Oil Central heating, open plan barn conversion 7th Feb 19 at 4:37 PM
    Hi guys I need help, fast!! I live in an open plan loft/ barn conversion, heated by oil fired radiators. I'm using a massive amount of oil, roughly 150 per month.
    I have the heating on 4hrs a day during the week and 6 or 7 hours at the weekend depending on the weather.
    I've set the thermostat to come on at 5pm until 9pm but I've recently been told by the neighbour that she hears my heating coming on during the day.
    I've now found out that my thermostat cannot be set lower than 10c meaning that when it's freezing outside and it's less than 10c inside the heating kicks in ,so it's coming on when I'm at work.
    Today I've put it on the frost setting and waited for the heating at 5pm and no heating has come on! I have no seperate thermostat upstairs. What is the best set-up I can use to save money?? I've 6 radiators upstairs, the upper floor is roughly 20ft x 60ft. Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 8th Feb 19, 7:20 AM
    • 4,204 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 8th Feb 19, 7:20 AM
    • 8th Feb 19, 7:20 AM
    From what you've described, it sounds like your thermostat is kicking in if the inside temperature drops to 10 degrees, overriding whatever timer settings you've set. A frost stat would usually kick in at somewhere around 3 degrees or thereabouts, it's function is purely to protect the system from freezing. I'm no expert, but if you use the frost stat, is that overriding the normal thermostat, which is why it's not coming on when you want it to ? It's probably worth getting a heating engineer to have a look, and see if everything is wired up correctly.

That aside, if the property is open plan then it's going to cost a fair bit to heat - you don't have as much flexibility in terms being able to heat different areas to different temperatures. The obvious first step is to check the levels of insulation, this will generally see the biggest savings in any situation. Loft, cavity walls, draft excluders, double glazing, etc. Things like double glazing are expensive to install, so have a very long pay-back period. Loft insulation is usually a quick and easy DIY job, and is well worth doing if it's not up to current recommendations.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Feb 19, 7:30 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 3,431 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Feb 19, 7:30 AM
    • 8th Feb 19, 7:30 AM
    Get your frost stat down a bit. The heating will kick in when it gets below that setting. Here in winter our heating seems to be on all the time, especially at night. Oil heating is very expensive, could you put in a wood stove to help heat your house?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    • 27,803 Posts
    • 13,677 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    • 8th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    Could the boiler be switching on to heat the Hot Water tank? Assuming the boiler is not a combi.

IMO a property heated for 4 hours every day should not drop below 10C unless it has very poor insulation, or the room thermostat is in the wrong place.

However if you have the heating switched off during the day it should never switch on heating regardless of the temperature. As indicated above, it could be the 'froststat' switching on the heating. However the normal setting for a frost stat is 3C to 5C and would never normally operate during the day in a house that is occupied.

Incidentally, depending on your insulation and boiler efficiency and building size, 150 a month for oil in winter is not massive for a barn conversion.
    • smitaly69
    • By smitaly69 9th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smitaly69
    • 9th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    The frost stat should only come on at 5c, I've used 600ltrs in 2months, heating 4,5 hrs a day. I can hear it rumbling away in the night but no heating coming on, it's a combi boiler, no tank, apparently it was rumbling away again yesterday while I was at work.
    EPC rating D, certificate says roughly 400 a year to heat, I've used 300 in 2months.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 3,431 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 9th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 9th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    Yes, in winter I use a 1000 litres in 3 months but in summer a tank lasts 7 months.

400 a year using oil? Impossible.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Feb 19, 5:58 AM
    • 47,768 Posts
    • 58,428 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:58 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:58 AM
    Hi guys I need help, fast!! I live in an open plan loft/ barn conversion, heated by oil fired radiators. I'm using a massive amount of oil, roughly 150 per month.
    Originally posted by smitaly69
    Insulate, insulate, insulate.

an open plan loft/ barn is always going to be hard and expensive to heat. You need to throw money at ensuring that the heat you generate does not disappear through the roof, walls, windows or out the barn doors!

Insulate (and draught-proof).
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Feb 19, 7:58 AM
    • 27,803 Posts
    • 13,677 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:58 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 7:58 AM
    I can hear it rumbling away in the night but no heating coming on, it's a combi boiler, no tank, apparently it was rumbling away again yesterday while I was at work.
    Originally posted by smitaly69

Some combis have a small internal HW tank to enable hot water to get to the taps quicker. The boiler can fire up randomly to top up the water in this tank for a short time and several people on MSE have complained about this wakening them at night. This facility can be switched off.

This 'rumbling' noise? Is it the boiler firing up or just the internal pump running?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Feb 19, 3:16 PM
    • 97,980 Posts
    • 66,140 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 3:16 PM
    I wish mine was only 150pm during winter months. IS there a reason why you think 150 is a lot for a couple of winter months? It doesn't sound a lot at all for an open plan barn. You probably use barely any oil over 7 months of the year. So, when you average it out as a really monthly average, it will be much lower.

I've used 600ltrs in 2months,
    thats not a lot this time of the year.
    I've now found out that my thermostat cannot be set lower than 10c meaning that when it's freezing outside and it's less than 10c inside the heating kicks in ,so it's coming on when I'm at work.
    If your house is getting to 10 degrees or lower whilst you are out then you have serious problems with your insulation.

Do you have woodburners? We have three in ours and one in particular is very good at keeping the ambient heat up and that reduces the oil heating and wood is cheaper than oil.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Feb 19, 3:43 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Robin9
    Have you an external frost-stat which would over-ride everything. ? I have one which works in two stages - 1) runs the pumps 2) kicks the boiler in
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • smitaly69
    • By smitaly69 12th Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smitaly69
    Some combis have a small internal HW tank to enable hot water to get to the taps quicker. The boiler can fire up randomly to top up the water in this tank for a short time and several people on MSE have complained about this wakening them at night. This facility can be switched off.

This 'rumbling' noise? Is it the boiler firing up or just the internal pump running?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Engineer came out today, the rumbling is the hot water trying to keep hot as the person above said. Apparently the unit uses 0.68 of a gallon per hour so I best get saving !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin