A "not what I want to hear" vent.

Options
Is it only me or has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a sudden rise in the number of people posting questions on the MSE forums who when they don't get the replies that they were hoping for are having tantrums, throwing toys out their prams, insulting others or deleting their original posts?

I know that sometimes some of the replies given can be a bit blunt but generally when the majority of respondents give roughly the same advice and have the same opinions, the reason for this is simply because that advice is more often than not, correct.

It does make me wonder why if someone has already made their mind up about something, why they then waste their time and other people's time and effort if they are simply going to dismiss anything said that doesn't meet their hopes and expectations.

Vent over.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you just let us know of the replies you would like to hear to this thread, save us all a lot of time

;)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are not looking for opinions . All they want is users to say yes you are 100% right and should get loads of compo.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    I love those posts.

I guess it's mean to take delight in those that are a little more than unhinged, but it makes for great reading...

Imagine them in real life!

Sadly I've been one to kick the hornets nest in these situations. I try not to any more, I feel bad after I click 'Post Reply'.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    Options
    The forum is as much for their benefit as yours.
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that the problem is caused by the sort of person who uses this forum as a means to make themselves feel superior by pompously lecturing and deriding people who come here with genuine problems - albeit where their handling of and expectations regarding the problem may not be effective or realistic.

These sorts of people:

a) Often have an inadequate grasp of consumer law.
    b) Threat their own opinions as if they were facts.
    c) Treat anyone with a less than perfect grasp of the law as an imbecile.

These people tend to have high post counts, and can be fairly quickly identified by noticing that that their posts rarely offer any useful advice (beyond the blindingly obvious), but frequently contain an arrogantly didactic attitude towards the post's OP.

They also tend to get all uppity if anyone has the temerity to object to the self-serving postings.

Regular users do best to simply ignore these types, but it must be frustrating and hurtful to users who are not familiar with the forums.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    They are not looking for opinions . All they want is users to say yes you are 100% right and should get loads of compo.

100%. It's usually all about the compo!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to be honest I've seen both angles plenty of times on here but I see far more where the OP is the one in the wrong, often complaining about the responses when they've been nothing but helpful. Admittedly it's not what they want to hear but it's the right responses.

It also really winds me up when people delete their posts. If you wish to ask for advice at least have the decency to leave it there. I really wish this forum would disable the ability to edit posts after 5/10 minutes.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I have to be honest I've seen both angles plenty of times on here but I see far more where the OP is the one in the wrong, often complaining about the responses when they've been nothing but helpful. Admittedly it's not what they want to hear but it's the right responses.

It also really winds me up when people delete their posts. If you wish to ask for advice at least have the decency to leave it there. I really wish this forum would disable the ability to edit posts after 5/10 minutes.

I totally agree.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »

Even a disable that kicks in after 12 or 24 hours would catch most
  • Gracie84
    Options
    People are always going to get things wrong. I've only been on here a short time and already made mistakes. But I wouldn't think about deleting or editing my post. I said it I've got to stand by it, or at least apologise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure