IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Need My Witness Statement Checking Over

Options

Comments

• iffy_jiffy
    iffy_jiffy Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree. Make the case but not so it's counter productive.

How does the SA look to yourself? If you get a chance that is..

Thanks again.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    iffy_jiffy wrote: »
    Hi all, just doing the Skeleton Argument...question...is the "request for further and better particulars" the same as a "Part 18 Request for Information"?

I did send a "request for further and better particulars" but received no reply from Gladstones/ES...no surprises there!

Hearing date at the court is next week!

Request for Further and Better Particulars is what we used to call a Part 18 Request for Information before the CPR came in, when the old rules were in force. They are essentially the same thing. The new rules favoured modernising the language used in court proceedings so it was less archaic. So the RF&BPs became a simple Request for Information. Legal practitioners actually refer to each specific rule in the CPR as a "part". So what we often call "rule 27" on here is actually called "part 27" by lawyers. Probably for no reason other than it makes us feel self important. Because rule (or Part) 18 deals with the Request for Information it is known as a Part 18 Request.

Part 18 does not in fact apply to small claims track cases (this is set out somewhere in rule 27). But under the pre-action protocol you are entitled to information about the claim so that before proceedings are issued you can properly consider your position in relation to it and potentially engage in a dialogue about it. The right extends beyond and into the claim stage (there's no rule that says this, but rule 16 requires the PoC to contain sufficient information for you to understand the claim and if they don't then of course you are entitled to ask questions - to prohibit any questions after a claim is issued would be against the rules of natural justice). So even though Part 18 doesn't apply, that doesn't mean you can't ask questions about the claim and how they will evidence it.

My Skeleton - this was absurdly long. I became like a woman possessed when I dealt with my relative's parking ticket. The way I drafted it though was to make clear that only the first couple of pages were relevant if the court agreed with my first two points. I think was included as a precedent purely because it sets out a lot of the precedent case law and the law on things like contract, signage, advertising consent etc.

The SA is not a requirement. But I think it's a helpful document for both the court and you. For you it is like a crib sheet on the day. It should cross reference to the documents (eg PoC/Defence/WS) by paragraph and page number. For the court it means the judge doesn't really need to read all the other documents because everything is summarised nicely in the Skeleton (all they need to do, if anything, is look at the specific parts of the documents you point to in the SA).

The BPA CoP document: I think I cribbed this from someone else (quite possibly Lamilad). There is some reference in some case somewhere (can't remember now) that as the Secretary of State has not made any regulations under POFA then the relevant CoP should be treated by the court as having the status of regulations. Therefore I wanted to demonstrate all the breaches and doing so in a table was the easiest way.

The POFA breaches document: I was relying on no keeper liability as my primary defence and so demonstrating breaches was important for me. Again, I thought the easiest way to demonstrate the different breaches was in table form.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • iffy_jiffy
    Options
    Thanks LoC. I'm not one who's well versed on Law and its terms so it is very mind boggling to me. I've had a lot from a lot of individuals here (and yourself).

So i see my "Request for Further and Better Particulars" is basically the same as the "Part 18" then. Good enough and am happy with that!

Makes more sense the reason for why the document was written in such a structured and logical manner. Took a long while for me modify for my case. Have you had a chance to look at it? Links are above. Appreciate it's long and time is time is of the essence.

Thanks again.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Just skim read it.

The point I made above about compliance with the CoP being paramount was in the Beavis case (how could I have forgotten) - this is in para 33 of your SA.

In para ii of the first part where you summarise their case and your response, you've confused the two contracts.

There is one contract, which is the basis of the claim, which it is claimed was made between driver and Claimant. That's the contract set out in the signs.

There is another contract, and that is the contract between landowner and PPC giving it authority to operate. This has nothing to do with the terms of the contract between driver/Claimant, other than on the point of whether it actually has authority to bring proceedings at all. In my case there was a clause in the contract saying that the Claimant had authority to pursue drivers. If there isn't in yours then this should be made as a separate point. C's case being that it is authorised and entitled by the parking contract with the landowner to pursue a driver/keeper, including via court proceedings, for the charge. D's case being that the parking contract does not provide such authorisation and is void for other reasons.

When you delete your paras marked "ignore" don't forget to change the para references in the document (eg somewhere you refer to paragraph 18 above, when paragraph 18 will by the time you make the deletions become a different number).

8.2 doesn't make sense, not sure what you're trying to say here.

31 etc - not sure if you should include all of this. Did you argue it in your defence? The transparency point in the second part are perhaps more relevant than the other complaints you make (eg the not being allowed to display a mark without permission, I doubt the judge will take any notice of that).

Costs: I'd strip this out into another document to make the Skeleton shorter. Also, you're using an old draft from pre-October 2017. After that date, the new Protocol for Debt Claims replaced the old Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (although paras 13-16 of the old PD still apply). So your references all need to be changed (assuming your claim was issued after October).

In general, you can make the whole thing shorter by making it more bullet point-y in language, if you see what I mean. So instead of full sentences, use a few words instead to make the point.

If you take out 31, I'd put 31.4 (or a shorter version of it) into the contract section
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • iffy_jiffy
    Options

In para ii of the first part where you summarise their case and your response, you've confused the two contracts.

There is one contract, which is the basis of the claim, which it is claimed was made between driver and Claimant. That's the contract set out in the signs.

There is another contract, and that is the contract between landowner and PPC giving it authority to operate. This has nothing to do with the terms of the contract between driver/Claimant, other than on the point of whether it actually has authority to bring proceedings at all. In my case there was a clause in the contract saying that the Claimant had authority to pursue drivers. If there isn't in yours then this should be made as a separate point. C's case being that it is authorised and entitled by the parking contract with the landowner to pursue a driver/keeper, including via court proceedings, for the charge. D's case being that the parking contract does not provide such authorisation and is void for other reasons.

Thanks - i'll change accordingly. Looks like i've highlighted both the driver/claimant contract and
    PPC/Landowner contract in one.

When you delete your paras marked "ignore" don't forget to change the para references in the document (eg somewhere you refer to paragraph 18 above, when paragraph 18 will by the time you make the deletions become a different number).

I know - i'm thinking of leaving them in so i dont get the paragraph quotes incorrect but i will have to do this!! ggrr.
    8.2 doesn't make sense, not sure what you're trying to say here.

I'm trying to state that a motorist would've identified that he/she was driving into a "private land" and that there were terms and conditions for parking there. it wasn't worded correctly now - changed now to "There was no warning sign at the entrance to the Land which would draw a drivers!!!8217; attention to them entering private land. "
    31 etc - not sure if you should include all of this. Did you argue it in your defence? The transparency point in the second part are perhaps more relevant than the other complaints you make (eg the not being allowed to display a mark without permission, I doubt the judge will take any notice of that).

Simple answer no as the parking contract was only provided to me in the WS - and not at the start when the LBC was served, a letter was served to them on 27.10.17 but no reply received.
    Costs: I'd strip this out into another document to make the Skeleton shorter. Also, you're using an old draft from pre-October 2017. After that date, the new Protocol for Debt Claims replaced the old Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (although paras 13-16 of the old PD still apply). So your references all need to be changed (assuming your claim was issued after October).

Ok - found it - will check out.
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/debt-pap.pdf

In general, you can make the whole thing shorter by making it more bullet point-y in language, if you see what I mean. So instead of full sentences, use a few words instead to make the point.
    If you take out 31, I'd put 31.4 (or a shorter version of it) into the contract section

In terms of taking out 31 (except 31.4), i'm trying to highlight that the parking contract has mistakes in. So, do i still take out 31 and leave 31.4 in? What you think?

Thanks!
  • iffy_jiffy
    Options
    Also, you're using an old draft from pre-October 2017. After that date, the new Protocol for Debt Claims replaced the old Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (although paras 13-16 of the old PD still apply). So your references all need to be changed (assuming your claim was issued after October).

Sorry, forgot to mention - Claim issued with the court was January 2018.
  • iffy_jiffy
    Options
    Can't find anything related to awarding costs the replacement for then CPR Rule 27.14(2)(g)
    could someone assist please? I am updating my points the CPR replacement (not 13-16) i.e. Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (PAPfDC).
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Rule 27 has not been replaced. That is the same.
    In October 2017 the rules governing pre-claim conduct were changed. Before that, it was governed by the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.
    After that, it has been governed by the Protocol for Debt Claims (although the Protocol says that paras 13-16 of the old Practice Direction, which set out the sanctions for failing to comply, still exist).

So your costs argument sets out the ways in which they ignored the Protocol, but goes on to refer to the sanctions in paras 13-16 of the old PD as these continue to apply and they give the court the power, inter alia, to order costs.

In essence, the Protocol says the same things, but in different language and in different paragraph numbers, but it has the identical intention of assisting in claims settling before they are ever issued.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    In terms of taking out 31 (except 31.4), i'm trying to highlight that the parking contract has mistakes in. So, do i still take out 31 and leave 31.4 in? What you think?

31.4 has nothing to do with the mistakes in the landowner-ppc contract. it's the point about the case law which says that unfair contract terms should be highlighted.
  • iffy_jiffy
    Options
    Rule 27 has not been replaced. That is the same.
    In October 2017 the rules governing pre-claim conduct were changed. Before that, it was governed by the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.
    After that, it has been governed by the Protocol for Debt Claims (although the Protocol says that paras 13-16 of the old Practice Direction, which set out the sanctions for failing to comply, still exist).

So your costs argument sets out the ways in which they ignored the Protocol, but goes on to refer to the sanctions in paras 13-16 of the old PD as these continue to apply and they give the court the power, inter alia, to order costs.

In essence, the Protocol says the same things, but in different language and in different paragraph numbers, but it has the identical intention of assisting in claims settling before they are ever issued.

LoC - thank you so much. That makes a lot more sense. I was searching the net and couldn't find anything in terms of
    27.14 and this now makes sense.

If there is anything else that anyone feels should be added/changed, please let me know.

I'll update yourselves on Friday with how i get on.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help so far. Without yourselves, wouldn't have got this far. Not forgetting the BMPA - they were a great help too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure