BT Telegraph Pole Erected Outside Property!

Options
Greetings Everyone!

Hope you are all well.

Anyone had any experience with a telegraph pole being installed outside there property?

I recently have unfortunately spoiling the views for myself and our neighbours :mad:

I can make a complaint as noted on the pole itself - I have drafted in reads the below:
12th November 2016

FAO: Pole Objection Team

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to object to the overhead apparatus installed immediately outside my property under paragraph 17 of the electronic communications code (telecommunications act 1984 schedule 2 as amended by schedule 3 to the communications act 2003).

This relates to the installation of electronic communications apparatus consisting of plant and new pole installed on 10-11-16. Installation details as follows:
• Engineer ID and job number: XXX
• Ref: XXX

My objection is made as the occupier of the above property under note (b) having an interest the land, the enjoyment of which, or any interest in which, is because of the nearness of the land on or over which the apparatus has been installed, capable of being prejudiced by the apparatus.

From the photographic evidence attached the installation of this equipment obviously impacts the aesthetic value of my property and as such negatively impacts on its value. The photos provided do not yet show the connection of the phone lines to the property XXX but I can assume this will directly cross from the pole to the building again impacting the aesthetic value of my property.

I request that the equipment is removed and an alternative solution is found following a consultation process with the affected neighbouring properties. Alternatively I would seek to be compensated for the loss in value to my property.

Please respond in writing to the above address or email: XXX

Do you think I will get anywhere?

Many thanks in advance!

Coeus.
Hope For The Best, Plan For The Worst

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So what you're asking them is, stick the pole outside someone elses house
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Coeus
    Coeus Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    No I did not say that anywhere.

I would not think BT would naturally do the most aesthetic option - just the cheapest.

Or if there is no other choice - compensation.

Wouldn't you have issue SailorSam?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 November 2016 at 11:16AM
    Options
    I have a lamp post outside. The only time we wished it wasn't there was a week after we moved in, A stolen car hit it, knocked it down, crushing the garden wall and missing the house by about 2'. But we accepted when they put it back up, they've got to go somewhere.
    I am surprised though that you never got told. I thought anything that would need any sort of planning permission, would have to reported to any residents in the area. Just like if your neighbour was building a garage.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Coeus
    edited 12 November 2016 at 11:23AM
    Options
    Yeah a consultation would have been nice.

Having a search I think there is a standing agreement between the councils and BT so they have deemed planning permission.

I'm not the accepting kind of guy if I feel I've been wronged.

If you don't ask you wont receive!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coeus wrote: »
    Yeah a consultation would have been nice.

Having a search I think there is a standing agreement between the councils and BT so they have deemed planning permission.

I'm not the accepting kind of guy if I feel I've been wronged.

If you don't ask you wont receive!
    So this is all about compensation then.

How have you been "wronged"?
  • Coeus
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So this is all about compensation then.

How have you been "wronged"?

Ideally I would like the pole removed.

Otherwise compensation for loss of value on the property.

The fact there was no consultation and the negative aesthetic impact is why I feel wronged.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BT retained the legal right to place poles where they wished ( even on private land , if you refuse they can go to court as a last resort) apart from in preservation areas

You are only entitled to payment if it's actually on your land (the council probably do receive something )

You have no right of appeal or any compensation
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Coeus
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    BT retained the legal right to place poles where they wished apart from in preservation areas

You are only entitled to payment if it's actually on your land (the council probably do receive something )

You have no right of appeal or any compensation

Hi Browntoa,

Thanks for the response.

From the notice on the pole I took the below:
    (b) having an interest the land, the enjoyment of which, or any interest in which, is because of the nearness of the land on or over which the apparatus has been installed, capable of being prejudiced by the apparatus.

Your post is how I imagined it would be - but BT seem to leave themselves open on this point to discussion myself having an interest in the land - my property being near (as in directly behind!).

May amount to nothing just wondering if anyone has ever appealed - the process - results etc.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coeus wrote: »
    Ideally I would like the pole removed.

Otherwise compensation for loss of value on the property.

The fact there was no consultation and the negative aesthetic impact is why I feel wronged.
    "Loss of value", please. I've never heard anyone say I got a few grand off the house price because there was a telegraph pole on the pavement outside.

If you think that you'll be financially worse off then go ahead and prove it.
  • Coeus
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    "Loss of value", please. I've never heard anyone say I got a few grand off the house price because there was a telegraph pole on the pavement outside.

So your telling me - if you have a house with an amazing view - a great selling point of a home...

and then someone sticks a pole right in the middle of that view with wires spouting in all directions - that wouldn't adversly affect its value?

... really? Come on neilmcl.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport