Options

Comments

• harrym1byt
    harrym1byt Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    There's been evidence that increased electronic pollution from mobile internet is detrimental to health, the smart meters are using mobile internet technology.

Its well known that companies and governments, cannot resist but take additional data from us without are full knowledge.

There's absolutely no good reason to have a smart meter. In fact, they already have been over charging customers and causing problems the old meters were not.

The meters try to transmit once per day at around midnight, at similar output power to a mobile phone. The likelihood is that you will be no where near the meter, when it does transmit its brief burst of data. Risk from such transmissions declines following the inverse square law - double the distance one quarter the power/risk.

Contrast that with a mobile phone, using similar output power, but a fraction of an inch from your brain and transmitting for many minutes during a call.

I have seen no valid data that supports any smart meter having over charged a customer in normal circumstances. I have seen a report that under very special circumstances, with an abnormal load, a smart meter could mis-record the consumption, but that is also true of the old mechanical meters.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My smart meter is now an unsmart meter since I moved supplier.

Whoever designed this smart reader rollout needs to be fired.

What a waste of money and it is us consumers paying for it.
  • harrym1byt
    Options
    jaybeetoo wrote: »
    My smart meter is now an unsmart meter since I moved supplier.

Whoever designed this smart reader rollout needs to be fired.

What a waste of money and it is us consumers paying for it.

That, I absolutely agree with, it is a complete shambles.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harrym1byt wrote: »
    The meters try to transmit once per day at around midnight, at similar output power to a mobile phone.
    Ignoring the possible health issues, this isn't correct. You can change the frequency of how often your smart meter sends readings to the supplier (usually half-hourly, daily or monthly), but I'm pretty sure they are usually automatically set for half-hourly readings.

For example, EDF states:
    Why is it best for my smart meter to send readings every half hour?

- When your meter sends readings every half hour, your display monitor shows you how much energy you're using every half hour (you can also see this information in a helpful chart by clicking on 'My energy graphs' in MyAccount)
    - With such an accurate picture, you can see where you might be able to save energy, and cut your energy bills
    - Half-hourly reads also mean you avoid estimated bills (unless in the rare event your smart meter loses connection)
  • harrym1byt
    edited 17 May 2018 at 11:05AM
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    Ignoring the possible health issues, this isn't correct. You can change the frequency of how often your smart meter sends readings to the supplier (usually half-hourly, daily or monthly), but I'm pretty sure they are usually automatically set for half-hourly readings.

For example, EDF states:

Sorry, but you are wrong....

The meter logs the values every 30 minutes, but the logged readings are only uploaded/transmitted once per day at around midnight in a batch, via the mobile phone network.

Experience of my last three sets of SM's, suggests the default setting is for a weekly reading to be uploaded, I had to ask for the 30 minute data and it took a while to appear..

The indoor display system, is entirely separate from the frequency that data is uploaded and stored by your energy supplier sent using the mobile phone data system. The indoor display receives updates every few seconds for electricity consumption and roughly every two minutes for gas consumption. That occurs via a system similar to you home wireless LAN for your internet. I would assume the less frequent updates for the gas consumption, is the result of the gas meter operating entirely on a battery and the electric meter having a near constant mains supply available to it.

Also the reason why the the gas meter just reports its value to the electric meter, then the electric meter reports both values back to the supplier. Also the reason why you cannot have a smart gas meter, without having a smart electric meter. Also the reason why if the gas meter is unable due to separation distance between the two meters to communicate, that they cannot install SM's.
  • larrywalker
    larrywalker Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 17 May 2018 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I am currently with Ecotricity as I run a Nissan LEAF all electric car.
    I like to be a loyal customer but times are changing.
    I have asked them to install a smart meter but they can't because my gas and electric meters are 60 cm apart and new rules dictate that meters should be 2m apart.
    That being the case I cannot see how the smart meter roll out can be achieved. I would think that most meters in homes are close together under the stairs.
    Consequently the smart meter roll out is not achievable and I have not seen any reference to this. However I do know that someone who is a Scottish Power customer had a smart meter installed where the existing meters were close together - so why the discrepancies?
    Smart Energy GB are responsible for the roll out and state that by the end of 2020, around 53 million smart meters will be fitted in over 30 million premises (households and businesses) across Wales, Scotland and England. ( smart energy gborg)
    How can this be? Who is policing this?
    Has anyone else had this problem/come across this??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    There's been evidence that increased electronic pollution from mobile internet is detrimental to health, the smart meters are using mobile internet technology.

Evidence?

Quote: Despite statements from groups such as Health Canada, Public Health England and the American Cancer Society that say smart meters don't pose any health risks, anti-smart meter advocates claim the radiofrequency (RF) energy emitted by the devices can cause a host of health conditions, like cancer, autism and Parkinson's disease.

Like all wireless devices, smart meters emit RF energy.

"The amount of energy absorbed depends largely on how close your body is to a smart meter," reads Health Canada's website. "Unlike cellular phones, where the transmitter is held close to the head and much of the RF energy that is absorbed is localized to one specific area, RF energy from smart meters is typically transmitted at a much greater distance from the human body.

"This results in very low RF exposure levels across the entire body, much like exposure to AM or FM radio broadcast signals."

In other words, if you're really concerned about smart meters, you probably shouldn't use a cellphone. Unquote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/smart-meter-myth-busting-nova-scotia-1.4594681

PS: My router is currently picking up 38 nearby wifi networks and I live in a rural area. I think that this particular horse has bolted. I dread to think how many networks I would see in my router log if I lived in central London.
  • harrym1byt
    Options
    I am currently with Ecotricity as I run a Nissan LEAF all electric car.
    I like to be a loyal customer but times are changing.
    I have asked them to install a smart meter but they can't because my gas and electric meters are 60 cm apart and new rules dictate that meters should be 2m apart.
    That being the case I cannot see how the smart meter roll out can be achieved. I would think that most meters in homes are close together under the stairs.
    Consequently the smart meter roll out is not achievable and I have not seen any reference to this. However I do know that someone who is a Scottish Power customer had a smart meter installed so why the discrepancies?
    Smart Energy GB are responsible for the roll out and state that by the end of 2020, around 53 million smart meters will be fitted in over 30 million premises (households and businesses) across Wales, Scotland and England. ( smart energy gborg)
    How can this be? Who is policing this?
    Has anyone else had this problem/come across this??

I must admit I haven't heard of that rule and it makes absolutely no sense anyway. Might somebody be making up excuses? A local friend with BG had them installed and his two meters were back to back with each other, no more than 1 foot apart.

The only ones which I heard they were unable to install, was where there was inadequate mobile signal, of the two meters so far apart that the could not communicate between them.

My own meters are adjacent to each other, in two of those outdoor cupboards - rather less than 2m apart.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think these dumb meters are for lazy people and the whole project is a massive waste of billions BUT as they are going to steam roller us into these crap devices, who is the best company to be with come October when they have to install the Smet2 meters.

Looking at the in home display the British Gas seems the easiest to use, I wonder do they all have option run on batteries?

Some look really dire.

What other the other considerations, such as online portal, access to historical data, do any have their own App?

I guess should also be asking which are the 5 worst companies when it comes to smart meters?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mbmonty wrote: »
    I think these dumb meters are for lazy people and the whole project is a massive waste of billions BUT as they are going to steam roller us into these crap devices, who is the best company to be with come October when they have to install the Smet2 meters.

Looking at the in home display the British Gas seems the easiest to use, I wonder do they all have option run on batteries?

Some look really dire.

What other the other considerations, such as online portal, access to historical data, do any have their own App?

I guess should also be asking which are the 5 worst companies when it comes to smart meters?

Most suppliers would like to develop an App; however the Govt and SmartEnergy GB have imposed IHDs on them. All IHDs are warrantied for 12 months - thereafter, if one fails, the customer will end up paying for a new one.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback