Old Lloyds loan PPI is it possible?

Options
Hi guys & girls,

My head is about to explode from reading all the info available so please excuse me if I'm asking some very stupid questions.

I'm 100% sure I had PPI from a car loan a long time ago.
I simply haven't bothered to attempt to reclaim PPI from a personal loan going back possibly to 1999 - 2000. Because I knew it would give me a headache (and it has)..

Here's the info:
I only know the loan was between 1999 - 2000 (I think):(
It was with Lloyds.
The same current account is still open and in use.
I have no paperwork from this loan (I've searched).
I do remember being told in branch at the time I took out the loan that the insurance was a "must have" making me feel it was compulsory.

Here's what I've done so far:
Applied for a complaints form from Lloyds. (can also be found via Lloyds website as a pdf).
Got sent the form - On the letter sent with it they have included 3 separate account numbers?? They are all 14 numbers in length. (Are these numbers loan account numbers)?
If so does that mean I've had 3 loans in the past and would it possible that all 3 had PPI?
(I probably have had 3 separate loans but only 1 sticks in my mind regarding PPI).
They did not send any other info btw.

The Lloyds (with sent form) letter states:
Please complete and return the enclosed questionnaire within 14 days.

Is this a joke? I was under the assumption it is..:mad:

My problem is I can't fill the form out properly because:
1: I do not know which of the 3 account numbers was for the loan I definitely know had PPI with it.
2: I do not know the exact date I took out the policy/loan. Or remember the exact amount (might have been £5K).

Is it worth phoning Lloyds and would they give the above info out to me or would they even still have this info after 17 - 18 years or not?

If anyone out there could possibly nudge me in the right direction and has had experience with reclaiming PPI from an old loan without paperwork and any other thoughts about what I could do next I'd much appreciate it !!:D

Best,
Gav.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All you can do is fill in the form to the best of your ability. If there are 3 loans, they will check them all.

You dont reclaim and get it back just because you paid it. You make a complaint, and provide back up for your complaint. Your case is weak simply because you have none.
    He said, i said is not proof so dont hold your breath.

Let us know how you get on please
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Gav76
    Gav76 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I will be complaining with the form not just filling the form out. The woman who gave me the loan deliberately pushed me into paying for insurance like so many other people. It was never explained that the insurance wasn't necessary during the agreement. I'll be writing this in the form because its the truth.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You will have to prove that was said, you cannot prove, so do not put that.
    Give valid reasons for mis sell and let them deal with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gav76 wrote: »

The Lloyds (with sent form) letter states:
    Please complete and return the enclosed questionnaire within 14 days.

Is this a joke? I was under the assumption it is..:mad:.

I've not seen much stand up comedy from the Lloyd's PPI team, but I wouldn't imagine it's their forte.
  • Gav76
    Options
    Thankyou for the answer.
    I thought it’s up to the PPI seller to prove that I had the insurance fully explained and that I agreed to pay it? At least that is what I've read from many sources, If the bank can't prove me wrong and I can't prove them wrong (because this was verbal many years ago) then they can either refund me or refuse. I'll still send it off I have nothing to loose and just write that I was not told PPI was optional at the time of the agreement. Just found out this goes back to 1997 so earlier than what I originally thought.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, the onus is on you to prove your complaint because you are not claiming [ Martin has an unfortunate tendency to dumb down sometimes], you are making a complaint of wrong doing.
    These days though, just complain, they'll invesitgate, if you paid single premium, they usually give you redress.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Gav76
    Options
    Cheers -taff, I've taken that on board.

I'll fill it out the best I can and send it off and come back to tell whether it was successful or not.. And no I won't hold my breath for compensation. Still if you don't try you never know.
  • Gav76
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on please

I got a letter from Lloyds today and they will be refunding me a total amount of £2722 !!:j

They've had to make assumptions because they don't have the paperwork going back that far but since I have no paperwork either I'll be accepting the refund.:D

Just goes to show even without any paperwork and from a very long time ago it was well worth pursuing!

Thanks to those that helped with advice.:T
  • siws1
    siws1 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ask you GAv76 if you remember how much the original Loan was for with Lloyds as we've just started a claim, and also did they ring you up for any extra information or just go from the form submitted? Congratulations by the way.
  • Gav76
    edited 13 May 2017 at 3:48PM
    Options
    siws1 wrote: »
    Can I ask you GAv76 if you remember how much the original Loan was for with Lloyds as we've just started a claim, and also did they ring you up for any extra information or just go from the form submitted? Congratulations by the way.
    Hi siws1,
    My original loan was for £6k, they did not phone me at any point during the process but I did get a text message at the beginning and then towards the end, it said something like "we are reviewing your ppi complaint and will come to a decision shortly". Then a short time later I got their letter through the post to tell me the offer and that I don't need to do anything as it will be paid into my account within 28 days. The letter had a full break down of the refund, some of it was estimated due to them not having the original paperwork.

I will point out that before filling out the form I went down the bank and asked one of the bank clerks to dig into the database to find, 1: The amount of the loan. 2: The date the loan started. And 3: The policy number of that loan. Because I knew it was the only loan I had PPI on. She could only get this limited info but at least I could use this to fill the form out correctly.;) On the phone is absolutely useless they would not give me anything and suggested I go and ask in branch so that's what I did.

Hope that helps! Thanks and good luck to you,take the advice other members gave above about wording the reason 'you are making a complaint'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure