Turkey Tips

Options
Last year had a big success with a Turkey Crown cooked in a bag. Don't mock. Jamie and Nigella both champion cooking the bird in a foil sealed wrap. The idea is that the bird must stay moist. And it did, the amount of liquid the bird was sitting in at the end was amazing.
So last year , I bought the crown in a bag, just stick the whole lot into the preheated oven and leave it alone.

But can't find the bird this year in any of the pamphlets from the major stores. It must have come from either JS/Tesco/M&S / Waitrose.

The crown was expensive , but worth it.
Has anyone seen the idea advertised?

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    Options
    My mum has always wrapped her turkey up in a greaseproof paper parcel. You can put a bit of butter and seasoning on the breast, stuff the neck end if you want, then wrap in several turns of paper end to end, then do the same side to side. Tie up with string (the sort that won't melt in the oven) and put in a baking tray (in case of any leakage) For a whole 10-11lb turkey we would bung it in for 4 hours. Doesn't need any basting. You can turn it over half way through if you want. Could you just buy an normal crown and do your own parcel?
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    There are oven bags for sale already, will look for one large enough.
    I just tried it last year and it was such a success. Not normally a fan of Turkey. My only problem as posted was the VAST amount of liquid involved.
    Will stab the bag over the sink before any other action after cooking.
  • 2gorgeousgirls
    Options
    I have a Baco turkey bag in the drawer. I love doing chicken in the bag, it stays really moist.

I would buy your turkey wherever you get a bargain and buy the bag separately, they're not that dear.

Buying a turkey already in the bag is likely going to be more expensive.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My sister did this last year, and just bought the bag separately. Everyone made fun of her and called it "boil in the bag turkey" but it was lovely
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• wallbash
    Options
    I would buy your turkey wherever you get a bargain and buy the bag separately, they're not that dear.

Not looking for a bargain come xmas lunch, last years could easily have been an expensive crown from Waitrose/ M&S, I just would like the same success.
    I normally cook for between 12 to 14 adults , so while I have to have the Turkey , I also can cook a crown of lamb or piece of Pork. Which reminds me that the pork joint had a french name.

Tip to you all. if you have a success, make sure you take notes.
  • wallbash
    Options
    Ok , Rumor has it that Asda is doing a turkey crown in a bag for xmas .
    Can I ask anyone who is shopping at asda to check it out, not a store near me, but would be willing to make a journey.
  • crystal_fire
    Options
    They do chicken in a bag all year round so I assume they'll do turkey too..
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • Emcar
    Options
    Can anyone help? I've tried googling but cannot find a proper answer.

I want to cook two turkey crowns christmas morning. Can I cook both in oven at sane time for the time it takes to cook one? Same shelf in oven? I have a single oven

Thanks!
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/Cooking-Two-Chickens/2785

This is for chickens... But I guess the answer is yes.
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As long as they have room around them to allow the hot air to circulate there's no problem
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport