MSE News: Cheques will NOT be axed after U-turn

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The move, which ends the proposed abolition of cheques in 2018, has been met with joy by elderly charities ..."

Comments

• edd921
    edd921 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]The reason retailers have stopped accepting cheques surely is because they're not guaranteed anymore, since the Cheque Guarantee scheme folded on 30 June?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • premierfella
    premierfella Posts: 879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So cheques saved because of the lobbying or.....

cheques saved because an alternative to cheques was a prerequisite for their demise and the costs attached to setting up that alternative may have been higher than the cost of maintaining a cheque payment system, use of which is contracting naturally anyway?

I think I know which of the above is more likely.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope the people campaigning to save cheques are prepared to pay the higher costs involved with clearing them.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a pity.

They're fraud prone, slow and outmoded. They really need to die.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    This is really good news. I don't use cheques very often but need them for paying local tradesmen. They are also useful for sending to people as a gift.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This decision just confirms, for me, that the financial industry is run by utter dipsticks who don't seem to have a brain cell between them and who prefer to lie and cheat rather than provide an honest service.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • verybigchris
    verybigchris Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    In April, I transferred from one internet-only Cash ISA to another. You'd think the old provider would send the balance electronically to the new one, wouldn't you?

Nope. Took three weeks for two major banks to send each other letters, then one posted a cheque, then the other waited for it to clear. And all the while we're being told that "banks want to get rid of cheques".
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    Well I'm very pleased with this announcement. I rarely write cheques myself but I have a one man window cleaning business and plenty of my customers still pay by cheque. I have gradually been nudging them over to bank transfers and plenty have gone for it. However, many won't or can't do it. Some of my older customers wouldn't even know how to switch on a computer if they had one (although telephone banking could be used). I even have several situations where they struggle to remember me when I turn up due to the foggy thinking some people get as they age. These customers would probably even struggle with cheques but tend to be at home and pay by cash.
    I'm sure that cheques will end one day but it might not be until we have a whole generation that has lived in a more technological age.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    Options
    edd921 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]The reason retailers have stopped accepting cheques surely is because they're not guaranteed anymore, since the Cheque Guarantee scheme folded on 30 June?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Retailers stopped accepting cheques because of the higher levels of fraud associated with them, despite the cheque guarantee scheme. Most stopped well before the end of the cheque guarantee scheme.
  • mustrum_ridcully
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I hope the people campaigning to save cheques are prepared to pay the higher costs involved with clearing them.

So what are these "higher costs", compared to debit/credit card and cash handling?
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure