Query about auto compensation if OpenReach can't access distribution point

Options
Alpha_Pentagon
Alpha_Pentagon Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 11 June 2019 at 9:30PM in Broadband & internet access
Hello - long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping someone can advise.

We came back from holiday at the weekend to find our internet wasn't working (we are with Now TV) - no connection at all. Logged it with Now TV who in turn logged it with OpenReach. OpenReach visited and detected there was a disconnect in the line 20 m from our flat ( on the 4th floor in a block). They (and I) weren't sure where the distribution point was but thought it was behind a locked door on the ground floor. The engineer called the building managing agents to see if they had a key, but they didn't seem to know anything about the door or the key. The engineer left it with us to chase the building agents to get the door open one way or another and then contact them once done to arrange another visit.

I've contacted the building agents asking them to investigate further and suggested they ask the company that cleans the communal hallways to see if they have a key. It's worth mentioning that we rent and therefore don't have any knowledge about the building itself - all I know is that the door never used to be locked and I'm pretty sure that OpenReach accessed it when they came to set up the internet 2+ years ago.

Although I understand that OpenReach can't proceed without gaining access to the DP, I don't quite understand where this leaves us regarding the auto compensation. Our internet worked before we went on holiday, so something has obviously happened to the line during this time and therefore the fault lies with someone, I presume OpenReach as they own the line...

Does anyone have any ideas whether we are eligible for auto compensation? I had a look at ofcoms advice but it doesn't mention this particular flavour of issue. We've been without internet for 3 days now (that we know of) and I can't see it being fixed anytime this week.

Thanks.

Craig

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

We came back from holiday at the weekend to find our internet wasn't working (we are with Now TV) - no connection at all. Logged it with Now TV who in turn logged it with OpenReach. OpenReach visited and detected there was a disconnect in the line 20 m from our flat ( on the 4th floor in a block). They (and I) weren't sure where the distribution point was but thought it was behind a locked door on the ground floor. The engineer called the building managing agents to see if they had a key, but they didn't seem to know anything about the door or the key. The engineer left it with us to chase the building agents to get the door open one way or another and then contact them once done to arrange another visit.

I've contacted the building agents asking them to investigate further and suggested they ask the company that cleans the communal hallways to see if they have a key. It's worth mentioning that we rent and therefore don't have any knowledge about the building itself - all I know is that the door never used to be locked and I'm pretty sure that OpenReach accessed it when they came to set up the internet 2+ years ago.

Although I understand that OpenReach can't proceed without gaining access to the DP, I don't quite understand where this leaves us regarding the auto compensation. Our internet worked before we went on holiday, so something has obviously happened to the line during this time and therefore the fault lies with someone, I presume OpenReach as they own the line...

Does anyone have any ideas whether we are eligible for auto compensation? I had a look at ofcoms advice but it doesn't mention this particular flavour of issue. We've been without internet for 3 days now (that we know of) and I can't see it being fixed anytime this week.

Thanks.

Craig

No idea about compensation but have you contacted the company that cleans the communal hallways? I'd have thought that was the building agents job myself BTW.
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thanks.

Craig

Might be worth trying to contact Ofcom to ask but I'd worry about doing what you can to get OR access first!

(Personally if reported correctly this isn't ORs fault but the law these days can be pretty stupid so they may still be to blame!)
  • Alpha_Pentagon
    Options
    No idea about compensation but have you contacted the company that cleans the communal hallways? I'd have thought that was the building agents job myself BTW.

Thanks for your reply. The building agents have just got back to me after contacting the cleaners and unfortunately they don't have a key. Their solution now is to write to each of the flat owners and ask. I'm tempted just to go knocking round the doors myself, or put something up on the communal notice board as I think their method might take a while...
  • Alpha_Pentagon
    Options
    Croft12 wrote: »
    Might be worth trying to contact Ofcom to ask but I'd worry about doing what you can to get OR access first!

(Personally if reported correctly this isn't ORs fault but the law these days can be pretty stupid so they may still be to blame!)

Yes, good point! I don't think OR is to blame either, but I also know that I'm not to blame - and a loss of service is still a loss of service. I'll focus on getting OR access first and then maybe pursue the auto compensation question with Ofcom afterwards. Thanks for your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure