PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to sell my house!

Options

Comments

• Rosieandjim
    Rosieandjim Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    They were suggesting that you *sold* it as a holiday home project, not that you let it out as a holiday home. ;)

Yes that is exactly what I meant
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Becks32 wrote: »
    Thank you, I am inclined to agree but just worried that i may drop and it still not sell. What I didnt mention before is that we have had quite a few people who have wanted it, even at a much higher price but they have not been in a position to buy. It hasn't been a shortage of interest, just a shortage of people who can proceed. We had 4 people at one point but not one could fllow through.

That would suggest that the house, in its current state, is unmortgagable. Unless you are in a position to bring it up to standard, you may be limited to trying to sell it at auction.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cloo wrote: »
    Are the other houses selling 'ruins with roofs'? Taking on a project is daunting enough without it being on a remote island.
    That would suggest that the house, in its current state, is unmortgagable. Unless you are in a position to bring it up to standard, you may be limited to trying to sell it at auction.

Possibly some misunderstanding - I think when the OP said "the house is a large 4 bedroomed house with 3 acres, a newly roofed ruin with development potential and outbuildings" they meant that the house comes with 3 acres and an annex of some sort which is a ruin, not that the whole thing is uninhabitable as at stands.
  • Becks32
    Becks32 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    tried the link but it wouldn't allow me to post. THe house is advertised on Lows property Orkney and is priced at £210k and called Lochside, if your happy to take a look for me?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot for the money.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:41PM
    Options
    It is advertised as a 4 bed but two of the bedrooms are on the ground floor and only two are on the 1st floor.

There is only one bathroom which is on the 1st floor so if you are sleeping in one of the downstairs bedrooms you have to go upstairs for a shower? Who wants that as a living arrangement? It is as bad has having the bathroom downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pics of empty rooms make them look a bit stark, and it's always difficult to imagine what they can accommodate without somebody's furniture in there - but unless you have a previous set of photos I expect there's not much you can do about that now.

From the brochure - "A mains water supply may be available to the property in Spring 2018" - an update would be good! Also indicates that you didn't really start marketing in May. Oh, and they should probably fix the reference to "pubic houses"!

Don't know what's with all the "0.0m x 0.0m" measurements for the external bits - either give the actual measurements or leave them out.

I've never seen agent boasting of a "clean" home report before - don't think I'd bother, especially if it's three years old and will need updated anyway.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options

Compared to some locations yes it is.

But the fact that this one has sat languishing for 3 years with no serious interest, suggests otherwise.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Yes but even by Orkney standards it's in the !!!! end of nowhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure