PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I need to sell my house!

Options

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fragile rural communities in much of Scotland have been struggling for most of living memory. There are multiple reasons, not that complicated, the move away from a rural economy, increased take-up of opportunities in education and travel and a tipping point as communities lose key facilities like schools, banks and shops.

Any success they've had has depended on a stream of incomers, particularly in the mid-eighties. That has been very much swimming against the tide, rather than something that should be seen as the norm.

In other words they've had a surprising succcess in attracting people to slowdown the flow in the past, rather than a lack of it now.

Prosperity ripples out from the rich areas, like London and it takes a long time for the ripples to reach somewhere like South Ronaldsay. Ironically the conditions when they do might just about be right for a rerun. As property price increases begin to dry up people who've made a lot of money bank it and look to escape. I remember around the mid-eighties a couple who had sold a two-bedroom cottage somewhere coastal in the South of England for £150,000 bought the biggest house in our village, an 8 bedroom ex-manse, for £65,000.

The problem remains for many people who do relocate, that it is difficult to make a living. Someone, possibly Samuel Johnson, wrote something like. "Fort William is a place where a man could live like a king on half-a-crown a day. The problem is there is no ready way to earn half-a-crown a day."

The figures have changed a bit, but the sentiment still rings true.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:23PM
    Options
    On that front - ie about just how does one earn that "half a crown a day" and remote working is a lot more possible than it was in this day and age of the Internet though.

A friend that moved here (West Wales) at much the same time I did has still continued with his worldwide career - courtesy of the Internet and "travelling back" (ie to Southern England) a couple of days a month. There are reports of people in some executive type jobs (maybe not even that level) even living in another country - with just the occasional "commute back".

For info. - people might be interested to get hold of the latest copy of "Permaculture" magazine (ie the autumn edition) and the magazine office has just "gone virtual" (page 41 - The Virtual Permaculture Office).

So certainly some types of job/career lend themselves to this virtual commuting.

It's one way some people can manage to work where the jobs locally arent available/well-paid enough/some employers expect you to speak a "local language"/etc - and can serve as a way round that sort of obstacle course in making a living.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^ Very true.

But a lot of the incomers are like me, sold up in the south, mortgage paid off, far better house here than I would ever have aspired to down south with no mortgage at the age of 40. So since then we have both only needed to work part time and have had a far better standard of living.

So anyone in that position, and indeed the retired can do very very well indeed here.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Retired myself - so that's where my income comes from.

Don't know about "doing very very well" - I wish:cool:

One thing one does have to factor in is "Trips back" - even if not necessary for work. I was working out the cost of, say, 3 "trips back" a year for around a week a go - to see relatives/see friends/do shopping/have loads of stuff going on/just "have the chance to let off steam from Being Careful" for a few weeks a year.
  • ProDave
    Options
    Whenever I go back, it takes no more than 3 days of the traffic and overcrowding to have me itching to get away again. You can drive it in a day, or fly for not much money.

The "do very well" thing, well if you have a house paid for in the south and you move here, you will have a better house paid for and a pot of money in the bank.
  • Becks32
    Becks32 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice. I have a lot to work with here and appreciate the honesty. Its refreshing to have a frank response and some genuine advice. I will get cracking and hopefully get some results. I know its not to everyones taste but Orkney is a very special place with some amazing scenery and I have experienced some amazing things there. The house was built by potentially the best builder on the island and so working on that basis, if I can resolve the cosmetic stuff the house should find a new owner fairly soon.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 9:52PM
    Options
    I think some better photography is the starting point - you need to sell the 'lifestyle' as much as the house. Sunsets, the wildlife, the beaches, sitting round a beach bonfire with the kids and dogs, sun glinting on the sea (now! while you can - it'll be winter in a week or two :rotfl:) Is it a croft/feu ?Borrow some sheep to 'mow' the ground...just get some great photos of both the house and the local surroundings even if you have a pay a bit for professional ones - there is no shortage of photographers on the islands.
    Set up a website and Instagram - its got potential to sell on 'instagram-ability' with the right photos.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Locals know the views

anyone outside thinking of orkney will view everything they can get to in a visit

A fancy picture of a lighthouse won't help increase viewings.

How busy is this best builder that's the market against the next project
  • ProDave
    Options
    Might be worth selling the "B&B potential" of it, and with the land camping / glamping potential. Tourism is a big industry up here.

Our old house was a B&B and we used to run it. The people now renting it (who we hope are eventually going to buy it) are successfully making a living just from running it as a B&B.

Don't rule out further development. With 3 acres it is very likely you would get permission for another plot or 2.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Becks32 wrote: »
    Although it looks in the middle of nowhere it is as I said only 10 minutes from the local village, school bus comes to the end of the drive for primary and secondary.

After being on the market three years I would assume the locals all know about it so your marketing needs to allow that readers will not know the area. Understandably they may be concerned about being too remote so include the above information in your listing plus distance to Doctors surgery etc.

Also what would any incomer do for a living? I would have thought working online is a possibility if there is internet access which your listing doesn't mention. Even if someone was retired they would want to know if there is internet access given the remoteness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure