Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.

Options
Pippilongstocking
Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
edited 22 December 2017 at 12:38PM in Debt free diaries
Hello lovely MSE angels.

I've been around for a while and know the small MSE ways lead to big changes in lifestyle. I'm so lucky I found you all when I did way back in the beginning of time!

I had started a new 'adventure' diary but this years events have shifted the focus from those for now to a bit more of a 'primal' focus on living very frugally, to accommodate unexpected and unavoidable shifts in expenses for the foreseeable.

As today is 'housekeeping budget day' I figured its a good a day as any to start this month afresh and try and move my mindset.

I have a fair bit of debt still but the main issues for me are pesky over drafts and a credit card which crept up whilst I was otherwise occupied. Its in the signature below.

This diary is to focus and hone my rusty MSE skills to the front and really live with what we have, make do with what we can, borrow or beg favours where needed, and barter ourselves where we can, there's no shame in asking for help once in a while!

We've two in our household both working f/t, plus two grown up flown the coup for now younglings - off adventuring (uni and gap year type shennanigans), a lovely DH, two pesky mutts (one quite unexpectedly terminally poorly) and a severe lack of chickens in our lives right now. Must sort that in the new year. My mother is quite poorly with an unexpected, terminal diagnosis, so I'm looking to juggle my very accommodating job with helping with her care and treatment.

We live well, but we could live a whole lot better with less, and support others more in the process.

:A
Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
:money:Sleeves up folks.:money:

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Happy, stripey new diary Pippy - looking forward to being 'in the gang' with the stripey ones :D

*pops on the kettle and smuggles in a new biccy tin*

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Check out how much the OD is costing you as it may be a combination of charges, interest and £/ time period. The may rack up to a nice and tidy sum each month.

If it does prioritise this
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    So today's housekeeping day - £300 has gone into the account for everything household. I'm hoping if I don't spend very much of it I can pay a big chunk off the credit card.

Its also packing for holidays day - this was paid for a long time ago thank goodness, given the state of my bank account at the moment. We booked ages ago getting £100 off each a 2 4 1 on passes and free ski carriage so I'm pretty chuffed with the lady who helped us book. DS works for the same company so I MUST EMAIL HIM with the booking details and we'll get his 5% off for family. LIKE DO IT>........:D

I'm busy packing a few bits into bags to save spends when away. We're off to the snowy lands, tiny apartment with a cooker so I've portioned up all the regular herbs, spices, porridge, tea, coffee and hot choc we'd buy out or at the supermarche......I've just lobbed 3 loo rolls in my bag too (inside my boots) and all the freebie hotel/work shampoos/soaps etc we have been borrowing here and there are now packed too.

So no spends on toiletries, basic dried goods (yes there is pasta inside my ski boot and noodles, not loose you understand). We will only need to buy fresh things and happy to support the local supermarche to do that.

I am in charge of household spends at home or abroad, so this is my budget. DH will do the treaty bits, cos he's a superhero.

I'm busily baking cakes from stores to take about the lovely dog sitters (free dog sitting = cake making) and doing a hamper from the stores for my brother who's going to pop in and see everything is OK when we are away.

Picked up elderhoond's medicine yesterday for the holidays and co-ordinated our vet to be able to speak to vet at my mums over telephone so no consulting fee, I AM LEARNING phone = free, pop in = £25+VAT. Meds were £40, given the spends on these this month I think as they are unavoidable, they need a wee budget of their own. I now have an idea of what he'll need for the forseeable. Lets hope I'm spending those for a good while yet.

I swapped some dog sitting for a chum in the summer for 10 days to have free dog sitting for younger hound over xmas. He's too bouncy for my mum at the moment. So a good bit barter there. I'm baking some treats for the lovely folks to say thank you and food for the mutt etc is all sorted (got a £1 off voucher when spend £10 in coop and bought own brand so got 5% back on my members card.)

Always learning eh.

I'll do a combined trip later - to drop off mutts/pop in with hampers etc after young hound is picked up from here.

I've got to borrow a shot of my friends tumble drier for my goosedown jacked - the only thing I own that needs tumbled. So I'm baking for that pop in too.

Oven is kinda full of brownies at the moment.

Before we go fire baskets to fill up with free wood (thanks dear brother).

We have visitors coming the day we land so beds to prep - and I've almost sorted the fridge out - seems odd to be so EMPTY at this time of year but I don't want any waste so the last of the bread and milk are going in the freezer with half a can of dog food. Waste not want not I guess.

There's a vague meal plan for when we get back I've a casserole made from reduced lamb. I've also asked the guys to bring some breakfast things. There's more stuff in there for NY day and alike but its frozen - I'll take out when I get home.

Off to update banks and move money from main bank into housekeeping.
  • UncannyScot
    Options
    YAY Shiny new diary :D
    (((((HUGS)))))

*Subscribed* ;)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Oh visitors how lovely Greying my dear friend welcome - I think of you often when i'm literally hoping to get some inspiration in life and in food. :) merci for the virtual bickies.

Enjoyyourshoes - OD one is free as its still a student account - not sure why they've never changed it - one is £6 charge with £13 interest this month so approximately £20/month, 240 a year - I'd like to save that I know for sure. The new focus I'm hoping will help reduce food spends where I know I do indulge and make more use of that money to clear this.

CC is a zero balance transfer on some of the balance but not on the rest - one issue here is subscription payments that I keep meaning to cancel and forget to as its not very visible how to do it ie 5.99 for MS office which I no longer need every month. I might try and ring them.

Thanks to both for the support.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    YAY Shiny new diary :D
    (((((HUGS)))))

*Subscribed* ;)

Thanks I took your advice regarding supporting others but also looking and asking for help and support, where I can, and here I am.

:A
  • UncannyScot
    Options
    Happy to help missus :D

If there is ever anything that you think I may be able to help you with, then just drop me a PM and if I can, I will (((((HUGS)))))
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Happy new diary Pippi, I always like the garden bits in yours. Especially the snowdrops :)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yay! :j :j :j

So difficult dealing with all the things going on at the minute lass, so many emotions xxx good to focus on the small things - that way there's always some achievement :j
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Followed you over.

Have a lovely holiday. Try to put everything out your mind now and have a lovely time with TRG.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business