PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tinned pineapple questions and ideas

Options

Comments

• moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of using a sponge cake mix you could use a "yorkshire pudding" type batter and make a "clafouti":

Butter shallow dish and arrange pineapple in it.

Mix:

1/2 cup of granulated sugar
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup of milk
    3 tbsnpns flour (self raising)
    a pinch of salt

adding the flour last and a little at a time, to make a thick pourable batter.

Pour over pineapple and bake at 325/170/gas 3 to 4 until slightly golden and firm.

I sometimes add a little cream if I get the batter a little too thick and you can use honey instead of the sugar.
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    Options
    I make mini pineapple upside down cakes in a muffin tin (cupcake tin too small, I find).

Grease tins liberally, teaspoon of demerara in each space and then shake tin a little to make sure the sugar coats evenly. Pineapple in bottom (with cherries if available) and then all in one sponge mixture on top to about 2/3 up the edge. Idea came about as I made way too much sponge mixture for some traybakes I was making and needed a way to use it up.

They look really cute and come out really easily (which I wasn't expecting!! I thought they'd be welded in).

IIRC, tinned pineapple doesn't stop jelly setting (I may be wrong though, I often am :o ) so you could make a milk jelly and add the pineapple.

Or caramelised pineapple (I think someone said that - it sounds divine!)

Off to pick children up now, but I watch this thread with interest :)
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • hermie
    hermie Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Pineapple Custard

Ingredients
    serves 4
    1 X 376 g (13 oz) can crushed pineapple
    3 tbls (25 g) 1 oz cornflour
    400 ml (14 fl oz) milk
    2 eggs, separated
    2 tbsp (25 g) 1 oz caster sugar

Method

1. Drain the pineapple, pouring the juice into a jug and spreading the fruit in a 750 ml/ 1 1/4 pint ovenproof dish.

2. In a bowl, blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of the milk. Heat the rest of the milk in a saucepan until it is just below boiling point, then pour on to the blended cornflour. Stir in well.

3. Return the mixture to the clean saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.

4. Boil gently for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the reserved pineapple juice.

5. Add the egg yolks to the cornflour sauce. Stir well. Return to the heat and cook very gently, without boiling, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens.

6. Remove from the heat and leave to cool; stir from time to time to prevent the formation of a skin.

7. Set the oven at 140°c (275°f) gas 1.

8. Pour the cooled custard over the crushed pineapple.

9. In a clean, grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in most of the sugar.

10. Spread the meringue mixture over the custard, making sure that it is completely covered.

11. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar.

12. Bake for 30 minutes until the meringue is crisp and browned.

Recipe taken from here

Ps Think I added a little extra sugar to the custard part but that's maybe just me!
  • Princess_Tiger
    Options
    Queen-Bee wrote: »
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys... please keep them coming!!! I am veering towards the idea of Princess Tiger's sponge at the moment (but what goes in the middle of it?) or upside down cake at the moment, but I don't have any glace cherries and would rather use what I've got to hand at the moment!!!
    QB

I'm probably way too late to be of use but I made a simple buttercream frosting which I used in the middle and the top of the sponge.
    It was just butter, icing sugar and some of the juice from the tinned pineapple beaten together well.

Hope you and your friend had a nice time! :)
    xx
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know whether the OP made her pineapple-upside-down cake but I have, inspired purely by this thread. I've had that tin of pineapple pieces in the store-cupboard for yonks and yonks so I'm glad that I've used it up. I'm just waiting for it to cool down and shall be having it after I've eaten my home-made veg soup for dinner. Yum
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's not too late, add some pineapple juice to the stew and call it sweet-and-sour.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Queen-Bee:hello:

Now you have plenty of ideas, I have added your thread to the existing one on tinned pineapple, to keep the ideas together

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jenster
    jenster Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i adore pineapple

and often froze fresh and tinned when the kids were little cos there was leftovers
    i used to make pineapple muffins

and made pineapple lollys - my kids loved them
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too love pineapple,as I find it so refreshing .I made a pineapple trifle last week and it really did cost buttons to make

1 small tin of pineapple rings 20p
    1 pineapple jelly 20p
    half a packet of trifle sponge 25p (or you could use a slightly going hard left over sponge cake)
    1 small tin of evaporated milk 36p
    put the jelly squares into a jug and half fill with cold water and the drained of juice from the tin of pineapple,nuke it in the microwave and top up with cold water until you have a pint
    bung into a glass serving bowl and chop up the pineapple leaving half to got on the top.put the first half into the jelly so its settles on the bottom soak the sponges on the top so there is a base for the rest of the pineapple to lie on and leave to set.when fully set and hard make a custard with some sugar and birds custard powder and the evaporated milk (This is really creamy, normally I do a small tin, plus one and a half tins of water to dilute it )top the trifle with the custard mix and leave to set.This was so nice last week ,true there was only me to eat it, but it did for pudding for four days and was so nice I am going to make one this week.I find that if I have a substantial pud then I don't have to have such a large dinner first,so often a salad with a jacket spud is quite filling
    cost around a pound to make and well worth it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone any ideas for using a tin of pineapple chunks? Bought in error and probably beyond best before date!

Fruit salad is obvious but I will have complaints if it is served up 2 days running (only 3 to feed at the moment) so a cakey type thing which keeps would be best.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport