PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Country living, yes or no ?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mgman1965 wrote: »
    My other worry is my budget, what I'd get for my nice, decent size 3 bed 1930's semi with off-road parking anf garage in town it seems will only get me a small 2 bed cottage with a small garden in a nice unspoilt village.
    The flipside to that is that we sold our suburban 70m2 house with minimal garden for 1.5x what we paid for a glorious 18th century 200m2 house in 1.5 acres...
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is she right or trying to put me off.

Dunno - is the glass half empty or half full...?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not so much the things you fancy (a kebab, etc) as the things you need that will be a prob. We're quite good at stocking up on things but what are you like now for having to just nip to the shop/DIY store for an item you've forgotten or run out of? If something breaks, how good are you at fixing it? How easy will it be to find local tradespeople?

I like being somewhere quiet, but could (prob!) never be away from a pub/bar, restaurant and shops - all walking distance.

How much time do you spend with friends and family? You may find yourself cutting yourselves off from them somewhat.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I grew up in London , I was used to public transport , 24 HR shopping and takeaways everywhere, instant hot water and heating that didn't cost the earth, cable broadband, mains sewers etc

And I now live in a tiny hamlet at the foot of the Glens of Antrim and have never been happier :)

Nearest petrol station/shop is 4 miles away
    Town is 5 miles away
    Any town with a choice of chain stores is 17 miles away
    Major cities with proper hospitals, theatres, etc 45 miles away

Septic tank gets emptied once a year FOC but really only needs doing every few years if it's working properly

Electricity is via overhead cables and power cuts are normal

No gas, so it's oil, which can be very very expensive depending on oil prices and coal and logs, neither are cheap, both are dirty and cover your house is dust

Broadband just means a connection in the country, high speed really depends on where you live. I finally got high speed last year (12 years with speeds of 512 before then )

Roads untreated mainly in the winter. Ours used to get gritted part of the way where the bus came through, but now we don't have a bus service so we are at the back of the queue

2010, we were 'snowed in' for three weeks. When the thaw came so did the burst water mains , no water for another week. It was so cold that winter the oil in the tank froze

There's no saying sod it, I'm ordering Chinese , no one delivers here. The postman arrives around 2pm and he will bring a newspaper with him if you want and he does take your post with him :)

But as Adrian says, it's the community that keeps you. It takes a while, but slowly your town/city ways fade and you embrace what you have

We both have found jobs locally, in family businesses. Whilst they are low pay, who cares when it's a five minute drive and you are treated as a valuable member of the work force and part of the family? My 7 mile commute in London took 70mins in the mornings by car, up to two hours by bus. My 8 hour days was really around 11 hrs , no time to enjoy the home I was working so hard to pay for

I'm never later home then 4 and DH is home 4.15. In the summer months it's change clothes, feed the hens, and we can be on a beach by 4.45pm.

The drive to the city takes 45 mins. It's the only time we see traffic :)

Yes winters can be long and cold and wet, but what's not to love about them when you have a roaring fire and a home cooked meal?

High fashion is swapped for good quality, hard wearing outside clothing

That's not to say we don't like to get dressed up and party, there's always a party somewhere and the heels come out ( I've never been to so many weddings in my life for example, everyone gets invited) There's so much going on all year round, every village has their family days, all the YFC have bbqs and charity events. The councils spend a lot on events throughout the year that are FOC

But best of all are your local neighbours. They are there for you as you become there for them. A real community

I'm dreading the day when I become to old to drive and will have to move to a town
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you had any self-catering holidays in the kind of area you think you’d like to move to in the depths of winter?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The flipside to that is that we sold our suburban 70m2 house with minimal garden for 1.5x what we paid for a glorious 18th century 200m2 house in 1.5 acres...

Same here, we sold our mid terrace 2up2 down heavily mortgaged house for a five bedroom, 3 bath, 3 receptions in a 1/3 acre with a tiny mortgage which was paid off in 5 years
  • sleepymans
    sleepymans Posts: 902 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When OH and I had busy pressured jobs we really enjoyed coming home to our rural cottage with country view, peace and quiet and fresh air. Those were our priorities then...
    Since retiring we realised there wasn't enough "life" and stimulation in the country and the house and garden were a drain on our energies and financial resources.
    We moved to a smallish town, downsized to a more modern easy to run single story house with easy to maintain gardens. We are close to all services and amenities, enjoy theatres, restaurants and all manner of social opportunities. We chose a property with wonderful views from every window and can reach wonderful countryside within minutes if we ever fancy a bit of country living.

I guess the answer is to choose the right location for access to the things you wish to spend most of your life doing....and that suits your resources.
    :A Goddess :A
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    No gas, so it's oil, which can be very very expensive depending on oil prices

Gas is an option - it just lives in a tank or bottles.
    and coal and logs, neither are cheap, both are dirty and cover your house is dust

Logs? They're free. You just have to stop 'em being big chunks of tree, and point them in the direction of being logs. Think of it as being like the gym, but free...
    Broadband just means a connection in the country, high speed really depends on where you live. I finally got high speed last year (12 years with speeds of 512 before then )

Rural high-speed broadband is very big news - we moved to fibre-to-the-premises (rock solid 50Mbit) 18mo ago. Friends in towns get far, FAR worse than that.
    But best of all are your local neighbours. They are there for you as you become there for them. A real community

I'm dreading the day when I become to old to drive and will have to move to a town

You'll be fine. The neighbours will be there for you.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another thing to think about might be the distance to the nearest hospital and how long would it take an ambulance to get you there, should you need it. Also how far is the nearest GP's surgery/dentist/vet if applicable.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 2:31PM
    Options
    My other worry is my budget, what I'd get for my nice, decent size 3 bed 1930's semi with off-road parking anf garage in town it seems will only get me a small 2 bed cottage with a small garden in a nice unspoilt village.

Depends on the choice of country location, surely? Surrey villages aren't like Mid Devon villages, for example.

We swapped our semi in town for a property with 5+ acres and outbuildings and we still had over £100k left to do it up. It's better than the town house was by a mile.

But we wanted to plant trees, make a big garden, look after sheep and hens, do building work etc etc, so we never had the OP's difficulty in deciding what to do. It would have been a different matter if we'd wanted lots of holidays and easy access to shopping etc.

We wouldn't have missed the life we've had in the country since moving to it on retirement, but I'd say it was because our objectives were clear. Life in town was easier, especially when we had children to cater for. Also it wasn't entirely an either/or situation for us, since our city house was only minutes by car from open fields and an easy stroll through the park from the theatre, restaurants etc.

Not all 'town' places are equal, and neither are 'country' ones. We think we're pretty wild and woolly here, but compared with the Highlands of Scotland....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure